Fuel protesters in poll threat

Sponsored Links
So these fuel protestors want to do a go-slow?

S'alright, they're not allowed in the outside lane on the motorway, I'll just overtake them. If I get held up by HGV drivers then I'll just make sure I cut them up wherever possible and slow to 20mph in the inside lane for the next month. If they take over the outside lane too, let's call it 10mph. I'm driving in my own time, you's the ones that's working, boyo! :LOL:

If you want to protest, stay off the roads, don't just make it hell for your fuel tax-paying brethren! Did Ghandi go around telling Indians to stop serving the British and start serving him? Did Martin Luther King go around burning crosses and lynching black people? On both accounts, no. So, why should professional motorists want to essentially just pi** off those who are merely scratch players on the tarmac?

AdamW said:
So these fuel protestors want to do a go-slow?

S'alright, they're not allowed in the outside lane on the motorway, I'll just overtake them. If I get held up by HGV drivers then I'll just make sure I cut them up wherever possible and slow to 20mph in the inside lane for the next month. If they take over the outside lane too, let's call it 10mph. I'm driving in my own time, you's the ones that's working, boyo! :LOL:

If you want to protest, stay off the roads, don't just make it hell for your fuel tax-paying brethren! Did Ghandi go around telling Indians to stop serving the British and start serving him? Did Martin Luther King go around burning crosses and lynching black people? On both accounts, no. So, why should professional motorists want to essentially just pi** off those who are merely scratch players on the tarmac?
Ghandi's approach was more a passive or apathetic approach instead of action, perhaps the best approach for lorry drivers etc is to take the day off and not deliver? besides Ghandi only made the one film so he couldn't have been much of a success ;)

Blair & Brown is not allow to bring down petrol prices because they have handed it over to the EU in 2002 and guess what?

Their computer said NO :!:

Sponsored Links
masona said:
computer said NO :!:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

besides Ghandi only made the one film so he couldn't have been much of a success

You've obviously never seen "Ghandi II: No more Mr Passive Resistance" (or was that just something in a Weird Al film?)

When farmers protest, don't they take their muckspreaders over to Downing Street or something? If HGVs went and blocked up the roads just around Downing Street and Parliament they would severely p*ss off a lot of people in Government. That would be far more effective than being mildly annoying to everyone elsewhere in the country, who can't do anything about it.

Industrial action that directly affects the innocent population are wrong, and whatsmore, it's French.

perhaps the best approach for lorry drivers etc is to take the day off and not deliver? besides Ghandi only made the one film so he couldn't have been much of a success

In reality I doubt they can afford to take much time off, last time many of them used their holidays up on the protests. Most of them are small companies or self employed. Over the last few years they have seen massive insurance rises and insurance tax, NI tax and pension rises, rises in both the ammount of toll roads and the tolls costs themselves. On top of this they are now facing reduced duty times under the EU working time directives. Add the fact that other EU and non EU companies with lower home operating costs are coming over here and unfairly competing, then you begin to get a picture of the true problems they face.

We should all remember the slogan "if it got there, it got there by road" Every time diesel goes up in price it effects the public twice. The first at the pumps or on bus/train fares. The second on everything we buy, and that means everything. Every single article, be it in the shops, pubs anywhere, even the local council tax,gas, electric etc,everything is affected. These guy's are not protesting just for the sake of it.

BTW Adam, small service vans and 7.5 tonne trucks are allowed on the outside lane and the UK has no minimum speed limits. I wouldn't deliberately cut them up either, Astra's and LGV's don't mix very well and you may get MRSA in one of our dirty filthy NHS establishments.

The blame for fuel costs lays at the feet of Western Governments, for years the oil producers have seen them making much more in taxes than they get for the product and they have seen the light.

AdamW said:
You've obviously never seen "Ghandi II: No more Mr Passive Resistance" (or was that just something in a Weird Al film?)
was that the one where Sylvestor Stallone took over the role from Ben Kingsley? Should have sent mum (Jackie) in, she would have scared off the british no trouble :LOL:

Matbe instead of bitching about Lorry drivers causing problems, the ENTIRE nation should support them and protest, In NO_ONE went to work, as in a NATIONAL STRIKE, then the Government would have to take notice.

Perhaps the General public just don't have the balls.

FWL_Engineer said:
Matbe instead of **** about Lorry drivers causing problems, the ENTIRE nation should support them and protest, In NO_ONE went to work, as in a NATIONAL STRIKE, then the Government would have to take notice.
Isn't that what the election is for? I think what you mean is that all parties take noticed then maybe it can be a good thing.
Perhaps the General public just don't have the balls.
Yes and no but I don't think it's will make any difference. The fuel protest in autumn 2002 really did shaked the government up in just under 7 days because it started to effect the hospital treatments and the government still did nothing, mind you they did reduce the HGV road tax but that wasn't enough. If they reduce petrol tax they still got to make up for the shortfall somewhere else, a no win situation.

david and julie said:
BTW Adam, small service vans and 7.5 tonne trucks are allowed on the outside lane and the UK has no minimum speed limits. I wouldn't deliberately cut them up either, Astra's and LGV's don't mix very well and you may get MRSA in one of our dirty filthy NHS establishments.

:LOL: I should let it be known that the comments I made were whilst a little tipsy. Cutting people up is stupid and wrong, I won't be doing it.

Filled my car up today, I happened to notice diesel is now 3p a litre MORE than petrol at my local station.

the UK has no minimum speed limits

I thought that the motorways are subject to a minimum speed limit of 30mph so long as the road is clear and conditions suitable? Hence mopeds not being allowed even with a full motorbike licence?

I personally think that if for one week :-
Nobody used their cars unless absolutely essential,
Give the pub and offy a miss
and only smoked their duty frees from their holidays
This and any other government would have catatonic fits.

But they are all in the red anyway - aren't they ?
Red stuff 34p litre linked here
Have a glance at 'Check out the **NEW** legal stuff
Best buy a boat .. perhaps a 'girt long'un' (D&J) as they say in Brissel !! Complete with grafted on tanker container as 'large diesel tank' ..
:D :D :D :D :D

david and julie said:
FARMERS staged a picket at a Cheshire oil refinery today in a bid to bring fuel prices to the top of the election agenda.
Here we go again.

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/156/156101_farmers_launch_new_fuel_protest.html[/QUOTE]
and them flipping farmers are always moaning there aren't enough hours in a day, so how come they got time to go hunting and then riding their range rovers up to london to complain that their grants haven't turned up yet, sorry I've run out of sympathy.but I'm not complaining :D

Sponsored Links
Back