Fused plugs in a fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of getting my kitchen re-done, and I've gone for an integrated diswasher and washing machine. (To satisfy Part P, all of the major electrical work was conducted by a qualified electrician of course :) ).

The dishwasher and washing machine both have molded 13amp fuses in them. Because they are integrated, these plugs won't be accessible once worktops go down. Instead, they both plug into a double plug socket, which is on a 13 amp fused spur, so that I have a switch and fuse accessible.

If the ampage did exceed 13 amps, I need the fuse in the spur switch to blow, so that I can replace it - not the fuse in the plug, which is inaccessible. Is there anything that I can do to ensure that the fuse in the plug will not blow and cause great problems trying to replace it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
only one i can think of is to replace the plug/socket combination with an unfused type (15A bs546 for example)

use a connection unit type face plate underneath as the fused spur above will protect i have several of these in my kitchen - hob, d/washer & wash/machine

can do that too but i think i'd rather actually have a plug and socket there

Sponsored Links
Welcome, CJLees01!

What a coincidence that your first post should be on this subject! We had quite a long and heated discussion only today.

Plugwash is of course quite right, although I have always been happy with 13A plugs below, and a DP switch above, the worktop..

If I understand you to have two appliances, then you should have two sockets, and each with its own FCU, otherwise you will not be able to isolate them independently, and your FCU fuse will probably not be appropriately rated.

You might also think about having the plugs and sockets accessible, for example in a tray space, rather than behind the appliances. But the controling switch must be in plain view, and its purpose obvious.

Thanks for the responses and advice so far.

I've had this recuring nightmare for some time about the plug fuse going in one of these appliances and trying to get at it to replace. As a novice, I thought it could just be uninformed paranoia, but it looks as if there is no clear answer out there.

Unfortunately, I think my nightmare may have come true already... I had granite worktops installed today, which made the two plugs inaccessible. Tonight, the dishwasher no longer has any power, whilst the washing machine (on the same fused spur) is fine, which makes me suspect the dishwasher plug fuse....

I have racked my brain, but can't think of anything that I've done during the day to have caused this situation - neither the dishwasher nor the washing machine have been run, neither have been moved or unplugged. No change to the plumbing...

I now face the unhappy event of trying to extract the dishwasher to investigate. If I'm going to do that, and this situation can occur again, then I'd rather correct the set-up to make sure that I can correct it better in the future if needed. (At least change any switches I need to before I tile!!!).

CJLees01 said:
it looks as if there is no clear answer out there.
Yes there is.

Don't have fused plugs where you can't access them.

Replace them with either unfused plugs, or flex outlets. In both cases put the fuses somewhere accessible.

Please take note of JohnDs good advice of separating them out as if the washing machine and dishwasher are both used at the same time the will likely blow the 13A fuse in the spur unit.

If the fuse blows in the plug there is generally a problem with the appliance so you need to pull it out to fix/replace it.

20amp DP grid switches serving socket outlets seems to be a very neat way of wiring appliances. You can switch all of them from one point which gets away from loads of seperate switches/FCU's above the work top.

OK, so it looks as if I should;

1. Split out the one spur switch a double plug into two seperate spurs, each with their own fuse.

2. Replace the appliance fused plugs with unfused ones, so that the fuses always blow in a convenient place.

I can get my electrician back to do (1). On (2), where can I buy unfused plugs? I've looked all over the Internet and can't find any....

Don't know if the sheds stock them, but I expect most wholesalers do.

On the net there's always our old friend TLC...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back