Fused wall heater won’t turn off at wall

Sponsored Links
What do you use to turn the heater on or off ,is it the one marked
" Lounge heater" in your pic ?
When you turned the heater off yesterday did you use that switch ?

I think you may have successfully isolated the SH by switching those switches off (even before you knocked the breaker off at the board).

SHs are usually connected to an electricity supply that is only energised at night when it is cheaper. They heat up thermal bricks inside them overnight. Then during the day, the controls can be used to release that heat.

@securespark Does the SH release the heat regardless of whether it is switched off?

@terryplumb yesterday I turned the heater on by switching on the red lounge heater switch. Then the 2 white switches. Finally there is a switch on the heater that I switched on. The heater turned on and I used it twice yesterday. I only switched it off using the switch located on the heater. This morning when the heater was emitting heat I switched all the switches off and finally the switch on the circuit breaker.

Attachments

• PXL_20201107_093458511.jpg
    PXL_20201107_093458511.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20201107_093435462.jpg
    PXL_20201107_093435462.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 55
  • PXL_20201107_114404914.jpg
    PXL_20201107_114404914.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 61
  • PXL_20201107_111048628.jpg
    PXL_20201107_111048628.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Sounds like the switch on the heater itself is duff ,but You really need an electrician to visit. Your comment that there was a smell like burning is a concern, Given that you used the heater a couple of times during the day without issue .
Is the flat rented ,how long have you been there ?

The flat is rented, we've been here for about 6 months but haven't needed to use the heater since it was the summer. Yesterday was the first day I turned it on

As winter is looming you will no doubt need it sorting out ,sooner rather than later.

The heat output is controllable via the controls on the SH, but if the unit has been switched on the night before, it will have stored heat ready to release the next day.
So yes, it can give out heat without being switched on.

If this is the first time you have used this heater recently, it will smell like hot or burning dust.

I think it’s probably working normally, and the smell is just hot dust due to it having been off for a long time (as others have said).

I suggest that you test your smoke alarm (just in case!) and turn the hearing back on. The smell will probably go after a day or two.

You should familiarise yourself with how to use the heaters and what all the switches do. Check that you have a suitable electricity tariff. The heaters will be expensive if you are heating them at the wrong time of day or if you don’t have a suitable off-peak tariff.

This looks like an arrangement where the storage heater also has an integrated convector heater.
The fused switch probably controls the convector heater & will be connected to the on peak supply, so you can use it at any time for a boost. I think the red switch & thermostat in your pic are the controls for this.
The unfused switch is probably for the storage heater & connected to the off peak supply. There will be an input & output control (possibly behind a flap on the top?)
I suspect that the storage part was charging overnight & this is what you could smell in the morning. You can't really "switch off" the stored heat once charged, but that is what the output control knob is supposed to do.
I could also be barking up the wrong tree!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back