Galvanized steel channelling. Reliable earthing?

Sponsored Links
Probably,,, but I don't have and don't need potting tools ATM

I could have got a 100m reel for £85 + VAT

Great stuff pyro, it is still possible to have a distributed emergency lighting system however they tend to use Gel batteries instead of wet cells now.

Sponsored Links
how frickin thick do you think plasterboard is?

I think you'd be looking at a frickin' inch or more with the adhesive. The rest can be channeled out of the existing walls, without any worries with regard to structural integrity due to deep chasing.

But the cables dont sit at the back of the adhesive. The dry lining guy will put his dots either side of the cable, and as the board is pressed back, the cables are more often than not just a few mm away from the back of the board.

But the cables dont sit at the back of the adhesive. The dry lining guy will put his dots either side of the cable, and as the board is pressed back, the cables are more often than not just a few mm away from the back of the board.

RF, I think you misunderstand. I am suggesting that the OP channel in the existing cables by a small amount, secure them, and then dot+dab plasterboard on top of that. Thus, 50mm depth is realistically achievable.

it's realistically achievable in a plastered wall as well.. 20-25mm bonding coat and 3-5mm skim?

the OP does state that the cables will be surface and you didn't originally mention chaneling the wires in..

still, with a 30mm for dot 'n' dab or wet plaster, that's still 25-30mm you have to chase into the wall..

Fix 20mm steel conduit, galv boxes and battens to the wall.

Nail the plasterboard to the battens.

Fix 20mm steel conduit, galv boxes and battens to the wall.

Nail the plasterboard to the battens.

although if he is using galv boxes with a blank or accessory, he is in the zones.

I would like to see a sketch or photo, or have a better description of what the OP is actually doing.....I hate any cables out of zones, even with the addional measures.

If the walls out of true the finished surface distance to cable could go either way.

Roll on wireless electricity....... why not you've wireless every thing else :LOL:

Mick.

It isn't difficult to have the cables greater than 50mm deep, with dot & dab plasterboard. It only requires a shallow chase in the blockwork, and the builder would gladly have the cables recessed and out of his way.

However, the O/P is on about running cables 'out-of-zone': so the best method is to bring those cables into zone by creating an 'artificial zone' - whereby those cable runs are marked by the use of blanking plates at each change of direction. The blanking plates wouldn't need a back box, they can simply be screwed to the wall. This method wouldn't suit every application, of course, because not everyone wants plastic plates screwed to their walls, but it would do in some cases. After all, it's the way we do it my homeland of Sicily and the way that most European nations do it.

Lucia.

Sorry all :oops: I stupidly thought the op was referring to metal trunking, not capping :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back