Garage Conversion Queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice before starting a project to convert our garage into a store/utility/games room.

FYI, the garage adjoins my lounge and my neighbours', is single story with a pitched roof, and was built 2 years ago. I'm pretty handy (D&T teacher :D) and am planning on taking the work on myself to keep costs down - baby 2 on the way!

The issues I'd like some advice on are:
  • What sort of lintel would you recommend for adding a personal door where the gas meter box is in the picture (gas board on standby to move the meter separately)? The section where the door will go is single brick, measuring about 1.4m wide.
  • What would be the best way to insulate the room - I was planning on using celotex - am I right in thinking that it can be just 'glued' to the wall? What about if I then plasterboard it? Do I need to leave an air gap, use a membrane, or is it best to batten it out?
  • I have previously boarded out the roofspace, and I'm worried about adding any more weight up there, i.e. for insulating/cladding the ceiling. Do you think that it would be necessary to add some reinforcement (if so how), or would ultra thin 9mm plasterboard be alright?
I'd appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or comments. Hopefully the pictures will show what I'm talking about more clearly. Any questions, please let me know.

Cheers
Sparkie22

Attachments

• IMG_4994.jpg
    IMG_4994.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_4996.jpg
    IMG_4996.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 176
Sponsored Links
To replicate your patio door, you'll need something like this: http://www.lintels.co.uk/catnic-lintel-ang-1350mm-10104-2804999
It won't be easy to replicate the other lintels, but with care it could be done. You'll need to place your strongman about five courses above where the lintel will be going.
I'd have thought that one strongman would be sufficient. For peace of mind, you could use two, but I suspect the roof trusses will be in the way of the strongmen on the inside, and you'll need to work from the outside, so they'll be in your way.

There's loads of threads on insulating garages. I'd use the p/b with insulation bonded to the back of it, and dot'n'dab. it has a vpm in the form of foil-backed. Position the boards about 25mm above the floor.

I can't answer your question about the ceiling, other than you shouldn't use 9mm board on the ceiling.

Lintel depends whether the wall is cavity or single skin?
Insulation; use thermal laminate board - e.g. kingspan k17 or k18. Which one depends whether you fix dot and dab or mechanical? Make sure you select correct one. 85mm thick should be ok.
Plasterboard depends on spacing of joists. 9mm is ok for 400 centres - 12.5mm for 600 centres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back