garage wiring cable runs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there all,

i have just come back from a friends house who has had a new garage built.due to the size of the garage he had to have planning consent from the labc to do it.i have requested a building notice off the labc to do the electrical work for him and am just awaiting their notification.the garage is a pre fab concrete and pebble dashed panel type effort with steel rsj's and angle for the roof part.i understand i'll have to earth bond the frame and roof structure but my question is regarding routing two runs of cable,1 for the 2 cfl's and 1 for the 20A radial continuation from 1 side to the other.the lights will be suspended from chains on the steel angle in the roof space, would it be classed as running the cable in a safe zone if i were to run normal pvc sheathed 1.5mm from the switch clipped across the angle with the girder clips from tlc with no other protection or would the 2 runs of cable have to be enclosed in conduit to cross over?

Sponsored Links
If the cables aren't buried, safe zones dont apply.

CFLs? Do you mean fluorescent tubes? I cant imagine how you'll suspend a CFL with a chain.

yes my apologies fluorescent tubes they are,i keep referring to my fish tank lights.so am i right in thinking that to run the cable across the steel angle i would indeed have to enclose the cable in conduit?could it be done using 1.5mm flex as the cable run from the switch to the lights?

cables on the surface do not require protection from drills etc regardless of route as people doing work on the building are expected to be able to see them.

however surface cables in some areas of a garage may need protection because the way the place is used may bring a risk of damage.

Sponsored Links
You dont need to use conduit (cable ties will be fine), but if the roof space will be used for storage it would be advisable to use plastic conduit.

Flex can look very good in the right circumstances, but I fear this is not one of them. Cable would be far more suited. Definitely use conduit if you use flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back