Gas Hob from cooker outlet or soldered in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renewing my kitchen at present. Last week I removed our Electric cooker (which I installed over ten years ago) and also my Gas hob which was fed from a cooker outlet valve via a rubber hose.

I don't intend to do DIY gas (yeah that Old Chestnut in your mind) the Hob was fitted by a plumber for me with this hose and a large amount of PTFE tape, is this now against Gas Regs now? I'd like to know as it might be awkward to solder if I put cupboards in before I get quotes - do you think it will be best to get two visits to remove the cooker out let and have this soldered with a switch off valve and then build cupboards and have the plumber come back at a later stage?

Will a Gas registered plumber connect it up via soldered copper now or can the cooker outlet and a suitable hose still be used?

I looked in the wiki but couldn't find the answer

Sponsored Links
Might be best to have a word with your fitter. Any joints which will end up concealed will need to be of the soldered variety; compression not allowed if inaccessible. With regards to the PTFE, there are two grades available; only one is suitable for gas.

I recall a previous thread where it was stated that flexible hoses are not allowed for built-in hobs; they are only allowed for free-standijg cookers where the owner will want to pull them out for cleaning.

Aaah, didn't read the post fully! As a rule the hob must be solid connection unless stated otherwise in the manufacturers instruction. Although I have never come across a manual that says this!

Sponsored Links
Ok, thank you for your reply's. The hob will only have access to it if the oven that I will be fitting myself is taken out so i think it will be best to get this soldered.

I think I'll try to find a local plumber (maybe the same chap who did my boiler two years ago) to fit a shut of valve first then he can come back. We're using a camping hop with propane so not in a rush but her indoors wants it done...

Ok a plumber came round today and our old pipework is iron and he said he needs to run the length back to the meter fully in copper, how irritating. Was hoping to get this finished before Christmas!

Ok a plumber came round today and our old pipework is iron and he said he needs to run the length back to the meter fully in copper, how irritating. Was hoping to get this finished before Christmas!

Did he explain why? Did he say it MUST be rerun or advisable? Iron is okay for gas, obviously assuming no corrosion, but may be undersized.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back