Gas Meter Fixing

Yes can see that, so what would it need for 35mm ?

But it only needs 28mm, well, according to the photo anyway!!

Last time we needed a 35mm gas supply on a domestic install we changed the U6 for a bigger meter, if I recall correctly? That reminds me; I must renew my ACOPS gas ticket.

Perhaps the concept of a 'bottleneck' meter union is lost on you?

The point I'm making is if there is less than the allowed pressure drop across the pipework then there is no need for a 1" meter union

Surely you didn't fit a u16 just because you needed 35mm pipework with a demand of less than 6m3

Didn't someone just mention the industry being full of cowboys & chancers !!!!

Nothing wrong with fitting a higher capacity meter mate, granted 6m3 is a lot, but SGN were more than happy to do it!

The meter is supported by the pipe work & if you're so experienced, you never flagged that up fella!!! And, clearly you're not doing anything about it in your day-to-day job, time for some retraining I'd say........ :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Richard the turd the new build you were working in today would have had a bracket that the the union slots would have been in the side and not the front

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Gas_Meter_Mounting_Brackets.html
http://www.continentalproduct.co.uk...SC0450C-KIT&width=600&height=500&imageId=4169

Meter brackets were changed many many years ago from front to side to help stop the theft of gas and it was a country wide policy

Gav fabricate your own bracket yeah of course you would , stick to plumbing if you dont even know the basics of meter installation and the correct fittings for it and what would be allowed.

http://www.continentalproduct.co.uk/store/product/UNI-SLOT.aspx
This is all that is required and read the discription of what it is also avialable in metal form as well

Blind leading the blind the pair of you

Well gasbag112 I can assure you it's the same bracket, old/new who gives a flying f.ck!! You still haven't addressed the issue regarding you ignoring the fault you daily come across. And your lack of training, insight & experience.

The Meter Union is still wrong.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the replies! Made me laugh this morning - there is obviously some conflicting thoughts...

I take it from the comments there is a white plastic clip I can get to fix the pipe to the wall bracket but having said that, the meter is supported by the pipe so no major issue.

Hope this hasn't caused too much bad feeling! I appreciate everyone is trying to help.

thanks for all the replies! Made me laugh this morning - there is obviously some conflicting thoughts...

I take it from the comments there is a white plastic clip I can get to fix the pipe to the wall bracket but having said that, the meter is supported by the pipe so no major issue.

Hope this hasn't caused too much bad feeling! I appreciate everyone is trying to help.

The white uni-slot clamp that Gas112 linked is what you need, but you will need remove the bracket in order to fit it. I have tried countless times to put them on in old meter boxes and they are a pain in the arse.

Contact your supplier, inform them the meter is unsupported, when the engineer turns up, ask him to fit the clamp or change the bracket. either way its a ten minute job. Be warned that the engineer will likely need to see your gas appliances before and after.

Check that the earth bonding clamp is within 600mm of the meter outlet, can't see on pics. They may point out if they come to refix meter to bracket.

I rather fix it back than leave pipe to support meter. NCS.

Dan.

Thanks guys,

there is an earth bonding - it just wasn't in the original photo.

Will they charge me to change the bracket/fit the adapter or should it be free?

Do I call Transco or the supplier e.g. Scottish Power?

Cheers

Richard incorrectly supported pipework is NCS not AR as you put and yet again its not the wrong UNION it is the correct fitting without the adaptor to fit it correctly to the jig.
http://www.continentalproduct.co.uk/store/product/UNI-SLOT.aspx

Yet again a link to what is required and it actually tells you this is what its for

Ah well, at least you've now checked, pity it's taken this long to do your job correctly!! Previously, by your own admission you've overlook this fault daily, you don't work for BG do you??

It's strange that this daft wee plastic clip is not supplied by a company like BES?? When you are so certain this & only this is what's required. I think most will agree, BES is one of the biggest suppliers of gas components to installers in the UK. The Meter Union is the wrong size, regardless of the cost.

Richard the turd i didnt mention it as its only NCS and as such none reportable.So it wasnt worth mentioning you on the other hand got it completly wrong because....you aint got a clue and stuff like that is awkward to google ,stick to turds
Only thing you know about meters is how to jump one.

Also the little clip you think is allusive wtf do you think that is under the meter governor or is that the wrong size also

Richard the turd i didnt mention it as its only NCS and as such none reportable.So it wasnt worth mentioning you on the other hand got it completly wrong because....you aint got a clue and stuff like that is awkward to google ,stick to turds
Only thing you know about meters is how to jump one.

Also the little clip you think is allusive wtf do you think that is under the meter governor or is that the wrong size also

Oh yeah, you are now saying you didn't mention it. No, you've only just checked that it's only NCS is more likely!!! Typical little engerlander, full of it in my view.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back