Gas pipe size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had my annual boiler service and the engineer has turned the boiler off, giving the reason that the supply pipe is under sized.
The boiler and pipework have been in place for over 10 years.
I know that the regulations changed a couple of years ago, but are they retrospective?
Surely they would only apply to new installations?

Sponsored Links
Regulations aren't retrospective, but the rules about pipe sizing haven't changed for a very very long time. Only 1mbar drop in pressure is allowed between the meter and the appliance to ensure sufficient gas is being supplied for safe operation. If more than 1 mbar drop is measured, the pipe is undersized, but unless it's creating an unsafe situation you don't have to do anything about it. What paperwork wad left with you? If a warning notice was filled out, can you post it here?

it says "pipe undersized / blocked. 23 mbar wp @ meter, 11mbar wp at appliance."
When I spoke to him, he said the boiler needed 18-19 mbar.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. That is a big pressure drop. First thing that I would want to do is confirm those readings. Was 23 mb with boiler running? If it was just standing pressure it could be meter/governor/incoming supply problem.

it says "pipe undersized / blocked. 23 mbar wp @ meter, 11mbar wp at appliance."
When I spoke to him, he said the boiler needed 18-19 mbar.
all it takes is a photo and then you can have proper advice , if for the last 10 years engineers have been wrong or not which is what your after right ;):)

cover some details if you have to

20171020_211841-576x1024-jpeg.129009

Attachments

• 20171020_211841-576x1024.jpeg
    20171020_211841-576x1024.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 1,043
The engineer did exactly the right thing.

It's not his fault the other ones you've had during the last ten years didn't ;)

So he just left, left you with it turned off.
Was there any discussion about him making it so it had the correct sized pipe? About quoting for the work to do that?
About getting someone in to replace the pipework ?

So he just left, left you with it turned off.
Was there any discussion about him making it so it had the correct sized pipe? About quoting for the work to do that?
About getting someone in to replace the pipework ?

And why would a Baxi direct labour engineer do that??

He found a problem and followed the rules. If he was quoting for an upgrade as a foreigner people would be pulling him to bits right now

When you say "turned off", what do you mean, exactly?

He has classified as AR not ID, which suggests that the low pressure is not affecting other appliances, or the combustion if the boiler.

What boiler is it?

Turned off at the boiler, but not the gas. It's a potterton suprima, which I know has serious issues, but ours has been fine. He said you can turn it back on, which I did, but the low pressure will shorten it's life.

Get the gas pipe uprated. If you replace this boiler in the near future you will need to uprate the pipe anyhow. Uprate the pipe to one suitable for a high flowrate combi to be sure and give you no future problems.
Saying that, many boilers are not susceptible to low gas rates, especially those with rail burners. But get it sorted.

That's a significant drop in pressure and it's unlikely so many years would have passed without a comment being made by someone at least.

Unfortunately you don't know how far he investigated...but it's entirely possible the gas valve filter has become blocked and just needs a clean.

You've no option but to get another installer in to check further.

What size Kw is the Suprima?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back