Gas Safe Register

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just heard of this on BBC news today, but info on what exactly the changes are seems scant.
I'm not in the trade and from conversations I have had it seems the general public have yet to get their heads around only employing Corgi registered engineers, changing to a new name isnt going to help unless there is a lot of advertising to make public aware.

I for one had no idea things were about to change.

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Do you now have to be a member of both? or are Corgi members supposed to abandon that and go with GSR only?

Confusing times coming for joe public it seems.

Sponsored Links
Only one company hold the register and that is Gas Safe, nothing to do with £orgi. They seem to give the impression that they have still something to offer like registering with them but you need you gas ticket to work and that is Gas Safe.
Before anybody gets on there high horse about the change it was put out to tender and Gas Safe came out top by a long way in fair democratic way.
There will be teething problems like any business that is starting from fresh so RGI's should give it a bit of time before ripping it to shreads.

Wrong . it gets even more confusing you can still just be corgi registered and work in the UK.

After the end of march you have to be Gas Safe registered to work on gas, yes you could probably carry a corgi card which will show that you have paid them and Gas Safe but it is Gas Safe that hold the resgister not £orgi.
Why pay twice for something?

Sponsored Links
Wrong . it gets even more confusing you can still just be corgi registered and work in the UK.

this just the point raised confusion reigns

namsag you are wrong

If you live in Northern Ireland you will have to register with Corgi to work on gas

If you live in England, wales or scotland you will have to register with Capita who are the current holder of the GASSAFE Register to work on gas

if like myself and others you work on other things, then in adddition to you gas registration. you also have to register with a competent persons scheme. to be able to work on Electrics, Plumbing, Air Conditioning Etc. and still be able to self certify

this has cost a lot more money last year my registration for all was around£400
this year it is nearly £600!! :cry:

Corgi are no longer the Gas register hold for the mainland but are one of several companies offering a competent person notification scheme
personally I will NOT be giving Corgi a penny and will probably use NAPIT for my notifications (but may change if a better deal is offered in time)

Just registered. Fairly simple and easy thus far.

Was thinking about staying with Corgi too for this year only but will hold fire until this all beds in then if there is confusion I may register with Corgi later on in the year.

Really depends on customer's reaction though ,if they continue to ask over the phone "are you Corgi registered?" then I will register with them however if customers are not really commenting then I won't.

Think we,as gas installers,have to play our part in promoting this new register by including the logo (which is shyte IMO) in all of our promotional material then things should help customers to realise something's changed if,however,we keep all of our Corgi promotional material and add the GSR stuff to it then that will only help fuel the confusion that most people are predicting will happen.

I think Corgi has to be dropped by everyone to make this work but being a pragmatist and given the current economic climate I will do what my competitors are doing.

Tony.

Kevingas so what did i say was wrong then. Fed the line to see if got a bite

I purposely said the UK which believe it or not Ulster is a part of . So you can be CORGI gas registered and work in the UK.

So what happens if they come over the water to work from what i have read they are still registered to work on gas

From what I have read, someone in Belfast who also wants to work in Liverpool will have to be registered with both outfits !

Thats a great extra cost and one which ARGI should be sorting out!

Tony

Kevingas so what did i say was wrong then. Fed the line to see if got a bite

I purposely said the UK which believe it or not Ulster and the Isle of Man are part of . So you can be CORGI gas registered and work in the UK.

So what happens if they come over the water to work from what i have read they are still registered to work on gas

what you said was wrong, because your post implied that you could be corgi registered and work in the whole of the UK. where in fact as Agile and I have right pointed out you would need both registrations to work in the whole of the UK (Isle of Man i'm not sure who they are going with)

From what I have read, someone in Belfast who also wants to work in Liverpool will have to be registered with both outfits !

Thats a great extra cost and one which ARGI should be sorting out!

Tony

Sadly it's not just this that needs addressing. but also the £200 (Approx) hike in fees to continue to be able to self certify Gas, electrical and plumbing

No i didn`t imply i said could work in the UK you bit and took that as a whole.
I have altered post as isle of man is part of gas safe.
Show me a link to where it says if someone is registered in ulster they need to be registered on mainland too because the article i read said it would be possible for them to work over here.
think it was in the Plumbing and heating mag that is free in merchants

No i didn`t imply i said could work in the UK you bit and took that as a whole.
I have altered post as isle of man is part of gas safe.
Show me a link to where it says if someone is registered in ulster they need to be registered on mainland too because the article i read said it would be possible for them to work over here.
think it was in the Plumbing and heating mag that is free in merchants

I can only go by what has been said and like everyone else, am still in the dark as to who can work where. I did raise this several days ago. still no definative answer that I know of
thanks for info re IOM

i'm sure that I am not the only one who reading "could work in the uk" would read that as UK in the whole not part of. remember the public read these forum posts as well so the more information given the better chance we all have of them being aware of the dogs demise

And remember this forum is also read by people throughout the UK some who will be covered by corgi.
I cannot see how properly qualified and registered UK citizens can be stopped from carrying out there job .
After all the HSE says a person must be registered with a government recognised body we now have 2 of these in existance for the next year
And ulster tradesmen meet those criteria

On another note WTF is the unique business number it is asking for on renewal page .
Is it on a letter they have sent us :oops:

And remember this forum is also read by people throughout the UK some who will be covered by corgi.
I cannot see how properly qualified and registered UK citizens can be stopped from carrying out there job .
After all the HSE says a person must be registered with a government recognised body we now have 2 of these in existance for the next year
And ulster tradesmen meet those criteria

I totally agree with you Corgi still has part involvement and we need to be clear for everyone and try to avoid confusion (sadly I doubt this will happen!)
it should be a level playing field not just in the UK but across the whole of europe sadly it isn't and Eastern Europeans get away with doing whatever they like.
only when we actually get told officially will any of us know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back