gas smells

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this will probably get moved... please dont move it mods...

for reasons that dont matter... I was in this old ladies house and could smell gas... so I rang the housing association.. but the old lady wouldnt switch off her fire or open the windows because it was cold...
she said she had managed all this time and a few hours more (until the gasboard or who ever) came to check it out wouldnt matter.
what... should we do if we can smell gas in the house?
what are the biggest hazards?

Sponsored Links
If you can smell gas you should open all windows and doors, turn off the gas at the mains, extinguish all naked flames and don't use electric, stay out.

Biggest hazard imo would be explosion.

Plus tell old lady to put on as many seperate layers of clothing to make up for loss of heating . Toffee, I hesitate to ask you this but are you a social worker or involved in care of some sort? Being nosy,sorry!Hairyjon

Sponsored Links
do you mean, switch off everything electrical like the tv, cooker lamp etc?
I remember that advert on the tv about smelling gas and the guy switches on the light switch and....

this was a semi detached house but on an estate..
what were the potential risks to how many other houses?

carbon monoxide... I believe this is odourless.. does it mean that if you can smell gas.. there will no risk of carbon monoxide posionong?

Don't switch anything, leave it alone!!!

(Switching creates sparks)

hairy jon.. something like that yes.
though not always approved of.

swicth the mains gas off and open all windows. dont touch anything electrical. even turning stuff off can create a spark and bang. you dont need that much gas in the air for it to be explosive

CO is caused by an incomplete burn and is tasteless. you shouldnt find this stuff in the main gas pipe....

so you are saying... leave everything as you find it... evacuate?

I think ringing Transco might be a good idea as well. 0800 111 999

scatmanjohn
very good point I missed this post , being an ex gas fitter ..lol

always turn off gas ,at meter , vent property , wrap up old lady , an ring Gas board to think I used to compete at Hollinwood Gas school Emergency Training Competition won it 4 times on a trot many many years ago ..lol .. I was in the manc safety team , ..lol

toffee said:
hairy jon.. something like that yes.
though not always approved of.
? I wonder why you say 'not always approved of' surley anyone that has enough heart for others should be able to help when it's necessary. We live in a very sad world-unfortunately those that can help don't because of the fear of litigation even though in many cases it's common sense to do so. Thanks for your nite-nite tidings you'll read this in the morning no doubt :D Hairyjon

Sponsored Links
Back