Get in Fruit and Veg prices to go up - another Brexit win

Best thing about Brexit is everyone is suffering the negatives and positives equally. Yet to see a positive but that will come eventually. It was said change won't happen overnight.

Sponsored Links
Best thing about Brexit is everyone is suffering the negatives and positives equally. Yet to see a positive but that will come eventually. It was said change won't happen overnight.
We shouldn't have to wait for currently unknown positives to come along...surely there were known positives at the time of deciding Brexit?

Otherwise they'd have all been saying, "Let's leave the EU and hope that something better comes along!"

The idea behind changing something is to make things better, not worse. Nobody wants to take a backward step.

Too many temporary rules that are reviewed every few years. It's too big of a change to happen overnight. It's a great big fudge up.
I'm starting to think it will never be sorted.

Sponsored Links
Too many temporary rules that are reviewed every few years. It's too big of a change to happen overnight. It's a great big fudge up.
I'm starting to think it will never be sorted.
And there are no short term big benefits, obviously, or they would be trumpeted far and wide.

And then when things like this happen, and it was always going to happen, we get the brexiteers denying it will affect us.

There was always going to be some benefits and disadvantages, anybody who thought brexit was a simple question didn't understand it. But we keep seeing the disadvantages. Why is that?

I see mottie has run away from actually saying this......

A will not affect us at all ( a disadvantage) or
B It is a benefit

I agree a few pennies on a few products is not a big difference though

stop being childish.

you can’t look at individual prices or individual shops, you have to look at the data to see the evidence.

A look at food price inflation.

Between December 2019 and March 2023 food prices rose by almost 25 percentagepoints. Our analysis suggests that in the absence of Brexit this �igure would be 8percentage points (30%) lower.

And then when things like this happen, and it was always going to happen, we get the brexiteers denying it will affect us.
And I’ll keep maintaining that until I see different - I’ve listed current prices and we'll just have to see, won’t we? If fruit and veg doesn't go up except by the rate of inflation, will you concede that again, you are predicting, nay, hoping that something goes up in the future because of Brexit. it’s just another prediction like mobile roaming, international driving licences, EU car insurance, EHIC etc etc that have sorted themselves out. Prices won’t go up because people won’t pay so business will win through, again. I say nothing has affected me personally because it hasn’t. I’ll just have to swallow the upcoming EU Visa cost that’s going to be brought in next year which will set me back a whole fiver every three years or so, dammit!

And I’ll keep maintaining that until I see different - I’ve listed current prices and we'll just have to see, won’t we? If fruit and veg doesn't go up except by the rate of inflation, will you concede that again, you are predicting, nay, hoping that something goes up in the future because of Brexit. it’s just another prediction like mobile roaming, international driving licences, EU car insurance, EHIC etc etc that have sorted themselves out. Prices won’t go up because people won’t pay so business will win through, again. I say nothing has affected me personally because it hasn’t. I’ll just have to swallow the upcoming EU Visa cost that’s going to be brought in next year which will set me back a whole fiver every three years or so, dammit!
So, we have agreed no benefits.

And you are conveniently missing out the restricted choices and shorter shelf life (which will lead to increased costs). Are you maintaining this won't happen?

The price is not likely to have a major bearing directly, likely to be only a few pennies per item/bag.

Maybe this thread explains this item on Yahoo news?

1706368047306.png

Yet to see a positive but that will come eventually
How?

the increase in trade barriers due to brexit are a permanent hindrance to trade.

we now have all these trade barriers: sPs controls, RoO checks, tariffs, cabotage restrictions, ATA carnets, transit documents, customs declarations etc etc between the U.K. EU is our largest and nearest trade partner by a country mile.

I realise there is the theoretical benefit of new trade deals…but think about this: 70% of our international trade is with EU, USA, China. We have zero chance of any deal with USA and China so that leaves the remaining 30% of which as an EU member we already had deals with: Japan, Canada, Vietnam, Mexico,etc. Somwhere are these actual benefits?

Everything gets blamed on brexit...lol
Appeal to extremes logical fallacy
What gets blamed on Brexit is the damage to this country

Did you know brexit was just a vehicle for a few rich people and a few grifters to make money out of it.

@Notch7

I'm being diplomatic and optimistic that eventually all will work out. I rarely put my head up for fear of getting it blown off.
I have mates that after a few pints are so astatic and happy with brexit. They bang on about how wonderful life is now we are out of EU and the many benefits but I dare not ask of one. It's a dead subject largely forgotten about in public. Never comes up in sober conversations. Last time I heard it mentioned in public was at Bristol hippodrome pantomime at Christmas on stage. Ha .
A few forums discuss and the odd news article pops up every few months. That's about it. The vote was 8 years ago. Everyone has moved on and focusing on the struggles of life, although some will remain hot under collar for many more years arguing point.
We just never got what was voted for. Did we? I don't think so.

@Notch7

I'm being diplomatic and optimistic that eventually all will work out. I rarely put my head up for fear of getting it blown off.
I have mates that after a few pints are so astatic and happy with brexit. They bang on about how wonderful life is now we are out of EU and the many benefits but I dare not ask of one. It's a dead subject largely forgotten about in public. Never comes up in sober conversations. Last time I heard it mentioned in public was at Bristol hippodrome pantomime at Christmas on stage. Ha .
A few forums discuss and the odd news article pops up every few months. That's about it. The vote was 8 years ago. Everyone has moved on and focusing on the struggles of life, although some will remain hot under collar for many more years arguing point.
We got exactly what we voted for.

I don't normally get involved in Brexit discussions but this is one area I think gets overlooked. I followed the Referendum intently because I was genuinely undecided. I was sanguine about the result, because we had been given so many reassurances by all the big guns on the Brexit side of things. All that needed to be decided was whether it would be the Norway model or the Switzerland model. Nobody of note had even mentioned the customs union, never mind leaving it. When we first heard we would be leaving the customs union, a couple of months after the referendum, I would imagine 95%+ had never even heard of it. I believe the public were greatly misled over how hard the Brexit was going to be.

Sponsored Links
Back