Getting a patent

I

imamartian

Can any of you explain to me what i need to do to get a patent?

I have an invention/product, which i believe does not already exist. And i have told no-one what it is. Do i need to see a solicitor? Will any solicitor do? What will it cost? Do i get protection for 20years?

If and when a patent is granted, what's the best way of getting a product on the market (if i can't get on Dragon's Den)?

Sponsored Links
Is it an Earthly or Martian patent you are after? The latter is much cheaper.

Sponsored Links
patent_certificate_of_grant_joystic.jpg

There you go. One patent. That'll be fifty percent of your future royalties please.

wrong forum i think, you should really be talking with the patent office for advice.

thanks to diyisfun for the link.... i have seen that site before, but what i don't understand is the role of the solicitor. I realise i fill in a form, and submit it to the patent office, but do i need to get what i've written ratified by a solicitor? or does it need to be a patent attorney (what is one?).

imamartian said:
what i don't understand is the role of the solicitor.
The solicitor is there to suck as much money out of you as possible.

do i need to get what i've written ratified by a solicitor?
I doubt it, but the patent office will tell you.

Can any of you explain to me what i need to do to get a patent?

I have an invention/product, which i believe does not already exist. And i have told no-one what it is. Do i need to see a solicitor? Will any solicitor do? What will it cost? Do i get protection for 20years?

If and when a patent is granted, what's the best way of getting a product on the market (if i can't get on Dragon's Den)?
How deep are your pockets??
It will cost plenty. Patent searches/lawers/the patent itself - cost depends on region you apply for etc.
It can seem endless. Be prepared.

Better off approaching a company that will take your idea on patent it and market it if it is good enough - nearly all are just plain daft in the harsh light of day.

Sponsored Links
Back