getting in to the plumbing industry

funny this, all these people want to come into this industry, an theres me fed up an want out. here is some advice for all the people thinking of coming into the plumbing/heating/an gas industry its finished its dead. no big money anymore you will only ever earn a wage. my best mate earns 80k a year as a sales man the workers dont get paid.

Sponsored Links
What you must understand with apprentices today; the trade has changed & not for the better!! A lot of jobs a chimp could do, so speed is required & not too much skill. Gone are the days when it was a very manual trade with a high skill level. The CC/CCC don't have & will never have that speed, so they'll never work.

We have several heating krus, that do 6 rads & a combi in a day. A CC/CCC would never be able to do that. So we only employ time-served guys.

What you must understand with apprentices today; the trade has changed & not for the better!! A lot of jobs a chimp could do, so speed is required & not too much skill. Gone are the days when it was a very manual trade with a high skill level. The CC/CCC don't have & will never have that speed, so they'll never work.

We have several heating krus, that do 6 rads & a combi in a day. A CC/CCC would never be able to do that. So we only employ time-served guys.

:eek: to do a job that chimps could do. What are you running a fecking circus :rolleyes: Dick Puller, more like dick taker :LOL:

Just call around you'll find someone. If you were round my way, you could come out with me no problem. Don't listen to the miserable lot. Maybe they're losing work to youngsters and don't like it, now wheres that violin....

You nailed it micky ;)

Sponsored Links
What you must understand with apprentices today; the trade has changed & not for the better!!
Kru :confused: OOOh ooh ooh , I wanna be like you- scooby do I wanna plumb like you , abuse like you . I wanna be in your kru . :LOL: :LOL: Time served :rolleyes: is 1974 finished college time enough - still got the papers somewhere:cool:

time served! i'd have got less for murder!! :LOL:
been in the game since 1982. this is the crapest year yet! F. all work about, little money in the few jobs that come in. escalating costs.
its only a matter of time now before we go under!

to op theirs not much work at the mo so my recomendtion is get some to lie for u and get ur self on as mate on building site get some expriance that way and good luck

time served! i'd have got less for murder!! :LOL:
been in the game since 1982. this is the crapest year yet! F. all work about, little money in the few jobs that come in. escalating costs.
its only a matter of time now before we go under!

Kev
I was in Ringwood the week before last with three plumbers from Bournemouth and one from Southampton,. The Bournemouth guys said the foreigners had pretty much left while the guy from Southampton said there seemed to be even more of them there. No wonder things are tough your way.

I cover both and yet its still a struggle to get business added to that i will also go to Winchester, fareham even portsmouth if needed, went to Tottenham yesterday for an old friend made about £70 for it, but at least its some money coming in.

who were you with? I know a lot of Bournemouth Guys (lived there for 9 years!)

Thank you, today I'm sensitive, I'm not thrilled about being 57.

This is an old git writing here, my apologies.

Well, I would say that you should be thrilled !

Think about our late forum colleague, Simon Chapman, who never made that age. And the 300 servicemen, most in their 20s, who were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan fighting a war which is not supported by half of the UK and perhaps even less of the locals there, yet they still went and did their best against an enemy who fights with IUDs and shoot and run techniques.

You have managed to survive so far to within 10 years of retirement age, whilst many others also do that, think of it as a positive achievement.

Aother advantage of getting older is that you become outnumbered by women as they live longer than men!

A couple of years ago, I did a boiler repair for an old fellow who had been a machine gunner in the "D" Day Landing in Normandy. He got through the war without any injuries and was still in very good health. I expect he is still alive and I look forward to repairing his boiler again sometime.

Later this week, I am going to a 92 y.o. lady to see to her ball valve!

Tony

I cover both and yet its still a struggle to get business added to that i will also go to Winchester, fareham even portsmouth if needed, went to Tottenham yesterday for an old friend made about £70 for it, but at least its some money coming in.

No wonder I dont seem to get so much work this year as before.

I am going to Tottenham to fix a Sine 18 tomorrow. I hope you have not beaten me to it.

Perhaps I should start doing repairs in Bournmouth? I went to school there so know my way round. Well at least to Wireless Supplies Unlimited!

Tony

We have several heating krus, that do 6 rads & a combi in a day.

I can still do them in a day, me and the boy, It fkn kills me now but allegedly keeps me fit :LOL: Rads dressed and hung, boiler mounted and flue cored before 9. All copper, water on by half 2 -3 out the door at half 5 and that includes lifting and laying carpets moving furniture and a run round with the hoover and if it is a pensioner, making the tea (to keep them out the way). We probably don't say more than 10 sentences to each other and don't have a break until the heat is on.

You can only be fast when you don't need to think. The only thing you should be thinking is about what you will be doing next and after that. That is where the skills, knowledge and real training comes in. Thinking takes time and reading your notes takes longer.

On a side note from that. I'm 6ft 2" around 17 stone but still a 34" waist and not fat at all . After you pass 50 you become the doctors best friend. Last time i was there had some stand in new start who was giving me the usual healthy living lecture and said i am seemingly obese according to some stupid chart thing. "Do you go to the gym or swimming or long walks to keep fit?" I felt like saying don't be so fkn stupid! but kept quiet and left with another handful of leaflets :LOL:

Thank you, today I'm sensitive, I'm not thrilled about being 57.

This is an old git writing here, my apologies.

Well, I would say that you should be thrilled !

Think about our late forum colleague, Simon Chapman, who never made that age. And the 300 servicemen, most in their 20s, who were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan fighting a war which is not supported by half of the UK and perhaps even less of the locals there, yet they still went and did their best against an enemy who fights with IUDs and shoot and run techniques.

You have managed to survive so far to within 10 years of retirement age, whilst many others also do that, think of it as a positive achievement.

Aother advantage of getting older is that you become outnumbered by women as they live longer than men!

A couple of years ago, I did a boiler repair for an old fellow who had been a machine gunner in the "D" Day Landing in Normandy. He got through the war without any injuries and was still in very good health. I expect he is still alive and I look forward to repairing his boiler again sometime.

Later this week, I am going to a 92 y.o. lady to see to her ball valve!

Tony

Thank you.
I try not to be either 'the glass half empty' or the glass is half full' sort of person but look at things as 'the glass is always full, it's just half full of air and half full of water'. Doesn't do much good.

Surveying for WarmFront I see many many retired people some at 80+ live like they're 60 and others at 60 with no obvious worries live like they're 80.

The men often have prominent pictures of ther units or ships from WWII or Korea as that was when they were most alive.

All of them say retirement is OK but work as long as you can. When with one couple the lady in her late 70's winked at me and said "grey sex, it's a well kept secret" the husband looked embarressed.

Customer or clients, they keep you going, even the awkward ones

We have several heating krus, that do 6 rads & a combi in a day.

I can still do them in a day, me and the boy, It fkn kills me now but allegedly keeps me fit :LOL: Rads dressed and hung, boiler mounted and flue cored before 9. All copper, water on by half 2 -3 out the door at half 5 and that includes lifting and laying carpets moving furniture and a run round with the hoover and if it is a pensioner, making the tea (to keep them out the way). We probably don't say more than 10 sentences to each other and don't have a break until the heat is on.

You can only be fast when you don't need to think. The only thing you should be thinking is about what you will be doing next and after that. That is where the skills, knowledge and real training comes in. Thinking takes time and reading your notes takes longer.

On a side note from that. I'm 6ft 2" around 17 stone but still a 34" waist and not fat at all . After you pass 50 you become the doctors best friend. Last time i was there had some stand in new start who was giving me the usual healthy living lecture and said i am seemingly obese according to some stupid chart thing. "Do you go to the gym or swimming or long walks to keep fit?" I felt like saying don't be so fkn stupid! but kept quiet and left with another handful of leaflets :LOL:

It always makes my laff Tamz, our little Engerlander chums on forums like this, they think Jocks live on Deep Fried Mars bars & drink all day!! I'm in my late 50s & like you as fit as a fiddle. I put it down to my Norse, Spanish & Pict DNA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back