Gledhill Torrent Indirect & Dunsley Baker Neutraliser.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of any problems in using a dunsely neutraliser with a gledhill indirect torrent (T130)?

My plumber is trying to hook our existing oil boiler, a new multifuel stove and a new gledhill torrect indirect together via a neutraliser, but he's concerned that the combination of components may not be suitable.

Also he's concerned that the output from the 1" bsp ports on the multifuel stoves boiler would be too much for the gledhills primary coil.

Is he right to be concerned or is he just being cautious?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying but that doesnt really help with this.

It's not a flow problem and I've already got the neutraliser doco.

Lets have a think then, the Gledhill doesn't care where the heat comes from, and the boiler doesn't care where it's going, just as long as it's somewhere. Which is why you have a heat leak because it's solid fuel, and some form of thermostatic regulation.

Whatever the boiler was running into, it would have a heat leak, and the installation requirements would be exactly the same.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I mentioned this to my plumber and he indicated he was thinking about that.

We may put the oil boiler and the stove in series, using the existing expansion and forget about the neutraliser.

I know thats not the "best" approach and has the downside of the stove acting as a radiator and heating up the kitchen when the oil boiler is on, but to be honest thats a minor inconvenience. I'll just not put any rads in the kitchen and open the windows in summer.

Don't do it like that, it's really bad news and condensation will wreak havoc. You could put the oil boiler on a local loop off the main loop with its own pump. This is an injector, but it would be better to use a neutraliser unless you don't mind learning by trial and error.

"condensation will wreak havoc"

Can you explain please I dont understand that. :?:

yes please explain.

Personally I would install a header and link both boilers to that.

Never had a need for neutraliser in the past and can see no logical reason for them now provided the installer knows what he's doing

I meant the problem of having to keep the return temperature of the soiid fuel boiler high enough to stop the combustion gases from condensing.

oilman said:
I meant the problem of having to keep the return temperature of the soiid fuel boiler high enough to stop the combustion gases from condensing.

Good point but shouldn't be a problem if the multifuel is fired up.

You got me thinking again Oilman :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Gledhill Torrent models T200re and T277re can be manufactured to be used in conjunction with range cookers and multifuel stoves and has 2 coils, They were designed for renewable energy.

Both appliances will connect direct to the store.

ring dunsley technical. they are very good and will run through ur install with u.

your looking at the wrong cylinder you need the torrent RE which is specifically designed for renewable energies, so you wont need the dunsley. Installed 4 there great.

as the torrents a thermal store and not unvented then as long as the heating circuits are open vented you dont need to make the system that complex.

I am considering installing a thermal store and have narrowed it down to Macdonald Engineering or Gledhill units, probably the torrent RE. My system will be run from Mistral Oil (condensing) and Stratford Wood Boilers but would like to make provision for a solar coil. I have been advised to use the oil as an indirect pumped system with Wood as gravity fed, with pumped take offs for space heating, just wondered if anyone had experience of this setup, and how efficient the mains pressure hot water actually is?

John67 seems to speak highly of them, are you anywhere near Carlisle ?, might be worth having a chat about my system

I am considering installing a thermal store and have narrowed it down to Macdonald Engineering or Gledhill units, probably the torrent RE. My system will be run from Mistral Oil (condensing) and Stratford Wood Boilers but would like to make provision for a solar coil. I have been advised to use the oil as an indirect pumped system with Wood as gravity fed, with pumped take offs for space heating, just wondered if anyone had experience of this setup, and how efficient the mains pressure hot water actually is?

John67 seems to speak highly of them, are you anywhere near Carlisle ?, might be worth having a chat about my system

I have fitted eight of these now - most exactly as you suggested. I generally order the Gledhill RE Torrent Solar. Boiler, wood burner, solar. Boiler indirect pumped. Wood burner direct and gravity. Solar indirect. Rads direct from store and pumped.

Mains pressure hot water has been excellent on all of the systems. The cold mains is generally heated to very close to the temp of the top of the store itself (if top of store is 65 then hot water will be 57 ish... assuming mixer not adding any cold of course).

All customers very impressed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back