Glow worm ultracom2 sxi with Climapro2RF going crazy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow worm ultracom2 sxi with Climapro2RF and outdoor sensor. The original pipework from a vented system was adapted. Fitted in the depths of winter I have only now come to trying to turn it off. The problem is that the heating will not turn off!

I became suspicious that the thermostat was not working correctly, however low I turned the temp, the radiators came on. I then turned the Heating from programme to OFF and they still came on. At last when I turned the hot water programme off the Heating subsided.

Is it a problem with the controls, or have the pipes been mis-plumbed? The handset is definitely talking to the boiler, and the smart wiring centre appears to be functioning without error.

I am calling the installer asap but it would be good to get a few comments so that I am armed with some good searching questions!

Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Its a bit difficult for me to guess.

The advice is that when new equipment is fitted it should always be fully tested in all configurations.

More likely to be a wiring error.

Tell us what he finds! Did he complete the Benchmark Certificate?

Did you get posted an Installation Certificate from Gas Safe or anyone else?

Tony

I have recently received the Installation Certificate from Gas Safe.

I have had some plumbing and wiring done in the vicinity since its installation (by the same plumber) I wonder if it is possible that something was disturbed.

When it was first installed it appeared to work fine. Though I do concede that I did not try turning it off. The thermostat appeared to kick in when necessary though.

Sponsored Links
I do not know if it is Y or S plan.

I do know that the heating comes on and off when the DHW comes on and off, but outside those times the heating also works as the programme set up. I hadn't noticed previously because I had the DHW and H overlapping. Am I to understand that the valves have been incorrectly hooked up?

Thanks for your input.

Without testing and seeing how its connected then I cannot guess whats wrong.

Unfortunately whilst you notice the heating being on when turned off you would not notice the water being heated when its off.

Let us know what he finds!

Tony

Right, the system is S plan two pipe.

The installer has been in an accident and can't come and look for a few days! He wonders if the boiler has been plumbed incorrectly and the flow is going round the return and therefore not getting to the valves till the end.

Any comments? In the meantime we will use the TRVs to regulate.
Thanks

He wonders if the boiler has been plumbed incorrectly and the flow is going round the return and therefore not getting to the valves till the end.

Thanks

Well I would be very suspicious of anyone who can make a statement like that!

Could be reverse circulation.

Turn the CH ON (leave HW OFF) and find out (by feeling at one or more rads) which rad pipe gets hot first. This is the flow pipe.

Turn the CH OFF and let the system cool down

Turn the HW ON. Check again which pipe gets hot first.

If it's the same one, the problem could be due to the CH zone valve letting by or being held open incorrectly.

You can tell if the zone valve is held open incorrectly by checking the manual lever on the valve. It should be at the Auto end of the slot and need some effort to move it to the Man end. If the lever is floppy in the slot, the valve is being held open.

If the other rad pipe gets hot first, it's due to reverse circulation. This is cause by incorrect connection of the HW cylinder return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back