Gloworm Compact with Low Burner Pressure

So you think that is what the problem is then??

It Pheonix natural Gas over here in sunny N. Ireland. I did notice that the standing pressure takes a lot of time to build up. So you think that all this is a meter problem/mains gas problem??

Grill

Sponsored Links
Had to edit post as missed a key point - You must now check the working gas pressure at the inlet.

grill said:
Right guys,

required info.

Inlet Standing pressure - 24 m bar
Inlet Working pressure - 11 m bar
Outlet Pressure before ignition - 2 m bar
Outlet working pressure - 10.5 mbar ( it has increased by 2 mbar!!!).

Doe sthis shed any light on the situation??

Grill

If your inlet wp is only 11mbar how on earth do you expect to set the burner pressure at 15 :eek: Most appliances are spot rated and in a perfect world you must have 20mbar inlet wp if gas pipes are sized correctly and wp at meter is 21mbar.

Most appliances will still work ok down to around 17-18mbar wp on their inlet.

You need Transco out, probably the govenor is blocked with rust or just knackered.

Im getting a bit confused now.

The pressure at the inlet when the boiler is running is 11 m bar as per my previous post.

You want me to check and see if im getting 20 mb at the meter when the boiler is running?? If yes then there is a pipe sizing problem between the meter and the boiler?? Is is a long run as well by the way. Meter on the ground floor, Boiler on the third floor.

Thanks again for all the help. I know this is all basics but as i said im totally new and want to get it all right from the start.

Grill.

Sponsored Links
Check the working pressure at the meter - should be 21 +-2 mbar as has been fully explained to you in one of your previous postings - you're learning very slowly. Also check at the GV inlet - should only drop a mbar.

If the pressure slowly builds up then the test point may be blocked with grease - use a pin.

Are you a rgi? - from your postings you seem way out of your depth.

Since you've adjusted the board pots you will need to recheck the burner pressures after Phoenix have been in and corrected the working pressure. Make sure the customer doesn't use the boiler after the working pressure has been corrected - if you have turned the pots up the boiler may burn too much gas.

Read the manual - there are also two adjusters on the gas valve plus the ignition and DHW/HTG pots to adjust.

Follow the manual EXACTLY. These rubbish GV's are much harder to set up than conventional mod coil GV's.

This is part of Core Domestic Gas Safety and you should be fully conversant with this if working in your own or someone else's.

If it's a long run and you have pulled out flaked of sulphides; then I would suggest they will need a new gas run rather than a transco visit; but check that meter working pressure first.

Right guys,

Working pressure at meter is 21 mbar. Yes i am Corgi registered and yes that is part of the course.

As i said i became registered 4 mths ago and work for myself so every new job is daunting. In my defence though i do want to try and get to the bottom of problems instead of saying" Oh look there is a lovely blue flame, that will do alright!!" A lot of people over here have that attitude. I would make a lot more money and get through a lot more work if i did to. Rant over!!! And i do find this site invaluable believe me.

So is it safe now to conclude that the run itself is what is letting this system down??

Grill

lol - No probs; just wanted to point out the situation - Seems to me like the industry all over is forgetting the basics - Anyway...

Correct.... New gas run. Get the calculator out :D

Yes sounds like it now. Either a blockage present or gas pipe hopelessly undersized.

You need to look up the maximum gas rate for this boiler then get you pipe sizing charts out. Obviously you will have to have an educated guess of elbows etc and sizing where you cannot see pipe work.

As you say this is on the 3rd floor I would expect a lot of the gas pipe run to be in 28mm off the meter.

Whilst we all appreciate you want to do the job correctly and 'learn' what the problem is, it has come across quite frighteningly (if thats a word :oops: ), your lack of basic tests and understanding of what is needed on inlet working pressures etc.

We all started where you are, but whilst I was not all that clued up on the finer points of fault finding and different boilers, I always new the basics from the core ACS. The rest has come with experience.

Good luck ;)

All goes to show what a pointless excercise ACS is - a couple of days bookwork and impossible to fail :LOL:

Fully agree guys,

I came back off the course with my shiny certificate and not a clue about a whole lot else. And because i wasnt going into a company to serve my time i had a more difficult start than others.

But i have now hatched and written down a full program of checks to be completed before i do anything else. This will then eliminate any needless going off on tangents about faulty gas valves and what not.

Everyday is a school day.

Thanks a million

Grill.

No problem - Best of luck with the career path - I went down the route of abusing a couple of big companies training schemes and then "off on my todd" style to actually make a living from something I enjoyed...

Hats off to anyone that feels brave enough to do it without any formal "on-the-job" training - Just remember, nobody can accuse you of being too safe; but you can face prison for failing to meet you duties - So morbid for a bank holidy :rolleyes:

No-one seems to have mentioned checking the gas rate with the boiler operating. Has this been done and, if so, how does it compare with the data badge input? Not too much store should be attached to burner pressue, it's the amount of gas the appliance is burning that's important.

(If someone has mentioned it & I've missed it then :oops: )

Quite right giblets, but with a difference this size pressures are (IMHO) fine to work with. Remember the dynamic pressure is as important as gas rate.

I am sure the OP (;)) will get the gas rates once the dynamic pressure is corrected.

your problem does seem to be pipe sizing , of which ive noticed a lot lately.for future reference , glow worm had a problem with some earlier gas valves due to the glyco lubricant (i think its called)that the gas transporter put in the gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back