Going On Holiday? Then read This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
And don't forget, in the case of Brexit, you'll need to pay your car insurers "loads o' money" for your green card for the privilege of driving in EU.

Typical remain exaggeration - they'll overcharge you for any reason going.

Interesting article Shutpa, but it forgot to point out that if you have any money left on a prepaid card, and don't use the card for 6 months, you suddenly find it's no longer there. You need to go and do a balance enquiry once a month to keep the card active.

Typical remain exaggeration - they'll overcharge you for any reason going.
Back in the 60's and 70's it used to be about £30 for additional EU insurance for a couple of weeks. What does that work out, at today's prices?

Edit: I've just done the conversion about £500 now! Based on 1969 charges!
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...tion-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html
Incidentally, that's twice the cost on my most expensive UK annual insurance!
The others are classic insurance.
If anyone wants an explanation about why green card insurance is so expensive I'm happy to oblige. Briefly, it's to do with EU regulated cooperation between insurance companies.

If you can remember back in the mid 70's how much it would cost you for Green card insurance, well it's it's ten times that now according to the site link above.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Interesting article Shutpa, but it forgot to point out that if you have any money left on a prepaid card and don't use the card for 6 months, you suddenly find it's no longer there
It did forget but I didn't and told them always to withdraw as much as is possible before the end of their holiday to limit the amount the card provider can take. We don't have that problem because our card is constantly in use.

BTW, when I was telling the couple about the article, I just couldn't remember who had published it but did remember that it was on the net. I therefore said that I would try to find it and post it in the GD forum on the DIYnot website if I did. Hopefully, if they're still interested, they will have found it. It was only at the time of posting that I realised that others might benefit from reading the article too.

Back in the 60's and 70's it used to be about £30 for additional EU insurance for a couple of weeks. What does that work out, at today's prices?
Edit: I've just done the conversion about £500 now! Based on 1969 charges!
Reading your reply got me a little concerned because my car insurance costs me (with NCD), £192.00 a year inclusive of 2 trips to Europe. Now because I'm off to France in 2 weeks time, I decided after reading your reply, to check with my insurance company that I am actually covered. I am.

Yes, Shutpa, currently any car insurance, taken out in any EU country is automatically valid for, at least, the minimum requirement in all other EU countries, for the whole duration of the policy, usually third party. It's EU regulation that's covered that.
If your insurance requires any extra now, it's to extend your fully comp to EU countries. Some policies may allow extended, but limited cover without extra charge, as yours does.

But outside of EU, green cards and maybe bail bonds are required, as it was for UK citizens prior to joining EU. In case of Brexit, it will be so again.

There's also a EU wide scheme for compensating drivers loss in case of being hit/injured etc by an uninsured driver. Outside of EU UK will not be in that scheme, without complete renegotiation.

Outside of EU, countries can apply additional temporary road tax, for visitors, as well.
Currently, EU regulations prevent EU countries discriminating against other EU drivers.

There are other potential, but serious changes in prospect, in case of Brexit.
Currently we can appeal to European Court of Justice in cases of us being inappropriately convicted in a EU country. For instance, where a national law is given precedence over EU law.
Outside of EU we will lose that possibility because the EU laws will no longer apply to us.

Last edited:
If anyone wants an explanation about why green card insurance is so expensive I'm happy to oblige. Briefly, it's to do with EU regulated cooperation between insurance companies.

Then another reason to Brexit:LOL:

Then another reason to Brexit:LOL:
To be fair, my comment could have been interpreted as, you did, by those who haven't been driving in EU for a long time, perhaps never.
Green cards are not required in EU, only outside of EU. Those that have driven in EU recently would have know that insurance for driving in other EU countries is considerably cheaper than if UK were outside of EU.

Well, it seems that £30 for a 30 day green card for me to drive in Ukraine is a bit of a bargain then. If the EU ensure that we are not subject to foreign road taxes, then I am so pleased that the Austrians call their vignett a motorway toll. I guess that a rose by any other name and all that.

It seems that project fear is in full swing here.

And, of you are going away on holiday and leaving your home unattended, tel EVERYONE about it on DIYNOT, face tube etc, 'cos potential burglars may just be able to put 2 + 2 together.

Well, it seems that £30 for a 30 day green card for me to drive in Ukraine is a bit of a bargain then. If the EU ensure that we are not subject to foreign road taxes, then I am so pleased that the Austrians call their vignett a motorway toll. I guess that a rose by any other name and all that.

It was about £30 in the 60's and 70's. Now, if inflation is allowed for, it could be about £500.

The Austrian vignette does not discriminate between Austrian citizens and citizens of other EU countries. Same as in Switzerland. France and Italy you pay by the particular stretch of road per kilometer. In UK you pay a Road Fund Licence.
None of these systems discriminate between nationals of any EU country. We all pay the same, irrespective of our nationality, as long as we're in EU.
In Germany, there was, or maybe still is, talk of charging visitors a temporary road tax, but this is contrary to EU law, so is currently not applicable to EU citizens, and is still not finalised.
If and when it is finalised, it could apply to UK citizens if we're outside of EU. Other countries could follow suit and apply additional temporary road taxes for UK citizens using their UK registered vehicles.

It was about £30 in the 60's and 70's. Now, if inflation is allowed for, it could be about £500.

The Austrian vignette does not discriminate between Austrian citizens and citizens of other EU countries. Same as in Switzerland. France and Italy you pay by the particular stretch of road per kilometer. In UK you pay a Road Fund Licence.
None of these systems discriminate between nationals of any EU country. We all pay the same, irrespective of our nationality, as long as we're in EU.
In Germany, there was, or maybe still is, talk of charging visitors a temporary road tax, but this is contrary to EU law, so is currently not applicable to EU citizens, and is still not finalised.
If and when it is finalised, it could apply to UK citizens if we're outside of EU. Other countries could follow suit and apply additional temporary road taxes for UK citizens using their UK registered vehicles.
You may need to have a word with your insurance company then because I have just paid £30 for my green card, you are being mugged for yours.
The Austrian vignett is charged per day for the use of their motorways. There are no toll booths but if the Police catch you on a motorway without one, then I'm sure that there will be a hefty fine... The British also toyed with the idea of road tax for foreign vehicles but like the German idea fell foul of EU rules, leaving our hauliers at a disadvantage... Perhaps it would be good to harmonise road tax.

I'm afraid that Switzerland isn't in the EU and so can do as it wishes.

nd, of you are going away on holiday and leaving your home unattended, tel EVERYONE about it on DIYNOT, face tube etc, 'cos potential burglars may just be able to put 2 + 2 together.

But if you have installed a DIY alarm system the narsty people will be warned off from breaking in.

But seriously do NOT put your home address on luggage tags that can be read by someone standing next to you.

You may need to have a word with your insurance company then because I have just paid £30 for my green card, you are being mugged for yours.
The Austrian vignett is charged per day for the use of their motorways. There are no toll booths but if the Police catch you on a motorway without one, then I'm sure that there will be a hefty fine... The British also toyed with the idea of road tax for foreign vehicles but like the German idea fell foul of EU rules, leaving our hauliers at a disadvantage... Perhaps it would be good to harmonise road tax.

I'm afraid that Switzerland isn't in the EU and so can do as it wishes.
Not having driven outside of EU recently I have had no need for cover for non-EU countries.
How much did you have to pay for your International Driving Permit?

You can't buy a day Vignette. You can buy a 10 day Vignette, or a longer one:
upload_2016-6-4_19-7-9.png

http://www.austria.info/uk/service-facts/getting-there-around/austria-by-road
Which is what the Austrians tend to do.
Switzerland may not be in the EU, but it can't do as it wishes. It is in the Schengen zone, therefore the free movement of goods, people, capital and services applies. Therefore it cannot discriminate between Swiss road users and EU road users.

The UK idea was to give UK hauliers an advantage in UK. They were not and are not disadvantaged, other then they are subject to UK road fund licence, whereas other EU hauliers are not. They are subject to their own national rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back