Governor - How do they work?

S

sanj.varah

I am curious as to how the governor on the gas system works. I understand that the supply comes up from the ground goes through an isolating valve then into the governor and finally the meter.

But I am just wondering what sort of mechanical arrangement is inside as it looks like a diaphragm to me and my uneducated eye.

also any idea what the mains gas pressure is? I am wondering how they ensure there aren't any leaks if the pressure is say 2-3 bar?

thanks

sanj

Sponsored Links
Mains gas pressure in the pipe up to your meter is typically around 75mbar. A few properties now have medium pressure govenors where the gas pressure to the govenor is 2 Bar

Sponsored Links
I found out about this wen I was 12 years old!

BoxBasher said:
Agile said:

Should have spent the time learning how to spell... ;)

then perhaps enrolled in some sort of humility course :rolleyes:

BoxBasher said:
Agile said:

Should have spent the time learning how to spell... ;)

It was a class thing were we all asked a question and others in the class had to find the answer!

It was perhaps a precursor of what I was going to do a long time later but I diverted to electronics engineering with the BBC for some while before getting back to gas!

I have always been facinated with how things work. It was not until I heard Peter Mansfield on Desert Island discs that I learnt how MRI scanners worked. Previously I had assumed they detected Fe ions but in fact its H²O molecules.

Tony

Agile wrote

Previously I had assumed they detected Fe ions but in fact its H²O molecules.

Hey Tone everyone knows that.
Not everyone knows how they can reduce their boilersize by adding a loft conversion to their property though. ;)

Balenza said:
Not everyone knows how they can reduce their boilersize by adding a loft conversion to their property though. ;)

Thats only when the existing insulation is non-existant or inadequate though!

Also since hearing Desert Island Discs I have done a boiler repair for someone who did a PhD in MRI image processing. What does he do now? Teaches physics and writes physics text books!

Tony

Thanks for the reply .
I knew a girl once who had a masters degree in engineering.
She left uni for a job with a London company who made E number food additives. She left that to return home to nurse her ailing Father.
She told me the MD gave her a blank check book to which she refused.
BA also head hunted her and was giving her a placement to do a PHd in laser welding for avionics or something to that effect.
I still have a couple of the books she gave me on laser theory and practise. Mind boggling stuff.

So Agile, answer the man's question, how do they work? Tell him why they are spring loaded as opposed to weight loaded (as some of the earlier type) and why they use compensation governing! The man is only asking a simple question, after all, it is only First-Year Gas-fitters syllabus work. Surely your "vast library" must have some reference. Your apparent hands-on experience in todays C.H. boiler field is to be admired, but give the youngsters today some credit for having an enquiring mind. "gas4you" from Norwich appears to be well acquainted with the gas industry inasmuch that he answered some part of the question that his free time allowed.

Point taken Dave, but when the operative understands how things work then the mystery of it goes, as does the desire to dismantle that particular item , not that anybody should feel the need to interfere with any meter governor that is under the sole authority of the Gas Distribution Dept.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back