Governor - How do they work?

I'm all for someone learning but on here we do not know who is posting so I feel we have to play safe sometimes ;)

Sponsored Links
I totally agree. You will note that I post under my name and I can trace Dave if I wanted to but "seanflear" keeps his identity totally hidden and thinks that he can say anything to anyone because he cannot be ( easily ) traced.

The meter governer is ( now ) a sealed unit and therefore cannot be opened and adjusted. The inner workings are there fairly irrelevant and all most people would need to know is that they would contain a diaphragm, spring and valve.

What IS relevant is to identify their faults and what their normal characteristerics are.

Just today I went to investigate a gas leak following a NG TOFO visit. There was no leak as such but he had failed to notice that the govenor was sluggish. I had to assume the gas was caused by the hob flame going out when the boiler was started up.

Tony

The guy only asked you how it works which you have chosen not to do after boasting you knew this at an early age is this because you don`t really know.? . It could be like a lot of things you claim to know about but only know a little bit and make up the rest to suit your theories as per your knowledge on MRI scanners they don`t work by detecting the h2o molecules. It works by scaning for Hydrogen atoms which is part of h2o but is also part of other compounds in the body. So yet again you get the basics wrong

I didn't realise it was such a touchy subject on here but I was only asking to kill my own intrigue, for no other reason.

I personally don't see what the big problem with it is?

I think its a bit paranoid of people to think that everyone who posts on this site is out there to fiddle with it. If you understand how systems work then you have a better appreciation of it and also it can only be beneficial in a fault finding operation.

sanj

Sponsored Links
The problem is that although we don't mind people learning and being inquisitive there are a lot of safety issues involved and if you scan back through a lot of posts you will see there are a lot of idiots out there trying to fix or meddle with things that they are not competent to do so.

It is no personal offence to you but we do not know you from anyone else.

We are all still learning every day and anyone who says they know it all is a liar :rolleyes:

gas4you wrote

and if you scan back through a lot of posts you will see there are a lot of idiots out there trying to fix or meddle with things that they are not competent to do so.

Could you not just use a self cutting tap on Transco's gas main before the meter and fit one of these thus by-passing the meter.
http://www.bocindustrialbook.co.uk/published/home/ref_6_5_2.htm
The link gives a nice exploded veiw of a diaphgram pressure regulator.

sanj.varah said:
I didn't realise it was such a touchy subject on here but I was only asking to kill my own intrigue, for no other reason.

Dont worry Sanj. This kind of thing is fairly normal.

Having said that you could have explained your interest and involvement, e.g. :-

1. I am a houseowner and I want to know how the regulator works so that I can fiddle it to get more gas out.

2. I am sudying Hydraulics at Brunel College and they set us some tasks as part of the course work.

3. I am on a gas ACS course at the College of NW London and the tutor seemed a bit muddled and I need a little more confirmation.

had we know which applied to you, Sanji, they would have been better able to help ( or not! )

Tony

If the meter governor is a sealed unit then how could anyone fiddle it to get more gas out ???.
My gas tapping option would be much better. :D

Go on AGILE amuse us assume he is a student and needs your help on how it works.

Well,well Agile, so you post under your name which therefore makes you easily traced does it? Who in their right mind would want to trace you? This was only my second posting in this Forum so I am not familiar with the pros & cons of the functioning of the lines of communication within it. Why should I want to keep my identity hidden. If I was able to get through the apparent "stonewall" built into this forum, I would have shown sanj.varah diagrammatically exactly how a Meter governor works. Who would want to know, unless they were connected in some way, to the Mechanical Services Industry. Who would bother to come onto this Forum?
Just remember, "nobody, but nobody was ever born knowing"!

gas4you put it in a nutshell :-"We are all still learning every day and anyone who says they know it all is a liar."

I understand the safety issues only too well, I'm pleased to see that the College lecturers or ACS tutors have instilled the fear of God into their students regarding gas safety, but you will not not stop Joe Public, bent on doing what Joe Public wants to do!

-----------------------

"The inner workings are there fairly irrelevant and all most people would need to know is that they would contain a diaphragm, spring and valve."

Contradicted by:-

"What IS relevant is to identify their faults and what their normal characteristerics are."

Your words and spelling, not mine! How on earth can an operative decide on a course of action on a problematic internal gas installation if he doesn't understand the operation of a service (meter) governor, which I might add could be the root cause of the problems encountered.
You might consider the Gestalt theory, where the organised whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Understand the functioning of the parts and you will appreciate the operation of the whole!

sanj.varah said :- "If you understand how systems work then you have a better appreciation of it and also it can only be beneficial in a fault finding operation. " I see no problem with that, seems genuine enough! What I would have a problem with is Agile's assumption that :-3." I am on a gas ACS course at the College of NW London and the tutor seemed a bit muddled and I need a little more confirmation."
I do not know what College he is referring to as I'm in Essex, but any College Department that employed a lecturerer/tutor who was a bit muddled with the said operation of a meter governor, should be shut down and the incompetent sacked!

As you think I keep my identity hidden Agile, my name is Brian ! Now does this mean I am invited round to your house for tea on Sunday? I have spent my whole life in the Gas Industry since my apprenticeship days, in Commercial, Industrial & Gas C.H.heating. Incidentally, without appearing pedantic, a gas man was always taught that "gas escapes and water leaks"! I am now a time serving member of the"old Gits" club, hence the name Seanfhear. The Gaelic implication for "old man".

Would my gas tapping procedure work using the BOC regulator ?

If you cant fix it then leave it so no one else will. :cool:

Would my gas tapping procedure work using the BOC regulator ?
Ha! Ha! Worth a try Balenza, Ive seen some things on Towns Gas that would make you die laughing if it wasn't so serious. I have seen another use for bicycle inner tubes, forget the CO content of Towns Gas, the flame speed prevented Co poisoning if there was an Ascot sink heater in the room. Brian.

To be honest i am psi#ed off with the lot of you. i have climbed up into loft and got my first year folders and gas technology books out to check exact worrkigs out and even the amazing Agile has not attepmted to explain even the basics. a usual full of shi#e

Seanfhear, there must be about 3000 people in Essex called Brian !

If you think that will identify just you then you are not correct.

Why not tell us your surname and the town where you live?

The internal workings of a gas regulator are of little relevance to a boiler engineer as they are ( now ) sealed and not maintainable.

The potential faults are however and its that aspect which does not seem to be often taught at colleges or anywhere else for that matter.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back