Grinding block work thinner - can it be done? How, please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can I grind down the front surface a breezeblock wall once its in place?

breezeblock.jpg

This screen shot, from a video we took when adapting the house, shows the breezeblock wall level with the outer level of c and d. I want to remove c and d, so how can I get the breezeblock back to that same level, -the blockwork of the original bungalow, please?

I want to insulate my carer's bedroom but don't have much space. We adapted the 2 bed bungalow to move into 8 years ago.. I see from video we took that the builder added an new layer of plasterboard/plaster (levels a and b) onto the original plasterboard (level c and d) . I would like to remove a, b, c, d levels. BUT a window was blocked up with breezeblocks flush with level d. I want to cut/grind/chisel off the face of the breezeblock (3cm?) so that it level with the original breeze block behind a,b,c,d.

How should I approach the job please? Can it be done please?

Sponsored Links
I not sure what c, d, a or b is, but if you are saying the blockwork is 3cm proud of the wall, then there's no easy way of remedying.
You can't grind off 3cm.

Either you want the blockwork re-doing and setting back or bring the surrounding area (presumably white wall c, d?) out by 3cm to match blockwork.

3cm on the white wall could be built it with battens and/or insulation and skim or jointing.

Good luck

For that one section only, use some better insulation (more expensive, thinner but more performant, like aerogel). Or remove the blocks entirely and fill the hole in with insulated timber studwork instead.

All of it is a lot of work that will likely never repay the savings that just suffering a thinner layer of the same insulation there would (put 80mm of PIR in everywhere else and 50mm there, and be done with it)

Sponsored Links
Thanks All for your good advice. I see. I am going to have to think it through again

Also, don't get too hung up on losing X inches of space unless it really does determine whether eg the bed will fit in the room or not. What sounds like a large space loss (eg 3 inches of insulation on a 60 inch wide room) isn't something you really notice in service

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back