Grit "What Grit"

Sponsored Links
if YOU bought a house where you have to park 50m away and YOU need to grit the path from YOUR door to YOUR car so YOU don't slip over or YOUR family can get there easier they why don't YOU go out and buy a bag or two of your OWN grit and use it..

why should MY road taxes go towards making YOUR life easier?

as it's an old peoples home, then the operators of it have a duty of care to look out for the elderly and it's up to them to aquire their own supply of grit and use it should the need arise..
overall old peoples homes don't let their residents wander out into the snow anyway..
they have enough food to last them a few weeks usually too...

you grit the path ( and your own path as well.. ) so that it is easier for you to get to your car because you feel it's safer for YOU to be inside of a tonne of steel that's sliding about all over the place rather than risk falling on your bum on the ice...

the fact that the path is in front of or hear to an old folks home ( who never leave anyway.. the only benefit would bo to the staff ), is a side effect so don't claim that you are doing it soley for their benefit..

Sponsored Links
if YOU bought a house where you have to park 50m away and YOU need to grit the path from YOUR door to YOUR car so YOU don't slip over or YOUR family can get there easier they why don't YOU go out and buy a bag or two of your OWN grit and use it..

why should MY road taxes go towards making YOUR life easier?

as it's an old peoples home, then the operators of it have a duty of care to look out for the elderly and it's up to them to aquire their own supply of grit and use it should the need arise..
overall old peoples homes don't let their residents wander out into the snow anyway..
they have enough food to last them a few weeks usually too...

My road taxes too, and my extra expense to keep the highways open for the likes of everyone else.
not our own choice of heath issues.

what "extra expense"?
i never said it was your choice of health issues, nor did I use that as a point to be made..
I was merely pointing out that you were using public grit destined for public roads, on private pathways for your own personal reasons..

you grit the path ( and your own path as well.. ) so that it is easier for you to get to your car because you feel it's safer for YOU to be inside of a tonne of steel that's sliding about all over the place rather than risk falling on your bum on the ice...

the fact that the path is in front of or hear to an old folks home ( who never leave anyway.. the only benefit would bo to the staff ), is a side effect so don't claim that you are doing it soley for their benefit..

oh, i see your point now, i think i'll just buy some grit for me own path (10ft) and leave the other paths and road alone it's good to hear other points of view and dont want to feel like a muppet.
i wondered why i got strange looks.

The simple fact is, there is not enough grit/trucks/manpower available to ensure that each and every road and footpath in the UK is kept free from snow and ice (and rightly so as it would cost huge amounts to keep this amount of resources at the ready just in case there's a change in the weather)
Why should Surrey get special preference?
Get yer shovel out like the rest of us.

just use the grit it will only go on others drives in big heaps or stay in the bin as no one can be bothered to put it where its supposed to be. There is more beer cans than grit in our box.

The simple fact is, there is not enough grit/trucks/manpower available to ensure that each and every road and footpath in the UK is kept free from snow and ice (and rightly so as it would cost huge amounts to keep this amount of resources at the ready just in case there's a change in the weather)
Why should Surrey get special preference?
Get yer shovel out like the rest of us.

Point taken, as above i'll just buy my own grit and shovel, i just wanted to know, Grit "what grit" wheres it all gone and why, oh...... on my 10ft path silly me. and on that PUBLIC FOOTPATH AND PUBLIC ROAD AND PUBLIC CAR PARK, i won't be putting it there again, the grit can stay in it's bin for the next few years as no one else will bother.....nor will i.

just use the grit it will only go on others drives in big heaps or stay in the bin as no one can be bothered to put it where its supposed to be. There is more beer cans than grit in our box.

Thanks but try telling others that, i just wanted to know once it is used why it's not filled to use again, Surrey is not special (far from it) but surley i can use some for my small path, and PUBLIC ALLEY & PUBLIC ROAD AND PUBLIC CARPARK, i have to use these highways too why cant i make it safer for myself, i'm doing the work no one else...... and i pay taxes.

there is a grit shortage at the moment.. the reserves dwindled very fast over christmas and the miners were off for 2 weeks... :)
even the plces you buy it from are waiting for deliveries in a few weeks..
our grit bin is still half full because we've only been putting it on the very steep road rather than the paths and driveways....
which means that it was used where most needed and we've still got some left for using when it's needed..

Grit bins? Luxury. The only one I've seen in my area is half a mile away.

Fortunately my road gets gritted, it's been done 3 times tonight already! :D

2 weeks back I gritted the pavement in front of my house and regretted it...

1) As soon as I finished I realised I had used over £5 worth of dishwasher salt to do it
2) A child who had been using the icy pavement to "ice-skate" in his shoes got to the boundary line and nearly went flying when his shoes suddenly gripped... :confused: :LOL:

2) A child who had been using the icy pavement to "ice-skate" in his shoes got to the boundary line and nearly went flying when his shoes suddenly gripped...

And do you realise that in this compo world we live in you may have been liable if he had hurt himself?

A few years back, can't remember when or where it happened, a bloke cleared the ice/snow from outside his front door. Woman walking past slipped on a bit he had missed and hurt her ankle. She successfully sued him for damages. Court ruled that it was not his responsibility to clear the pavement but the councils and as he had failed to do it correctly he was liable for the injuries she sustained. So the simple answer is , don't clear the public highway and if you do your own path/drive make sure you do it properly in case the milkman/postie/binman/leaflet distributor et al has a fall.

Grit bins? Luxury. The only one I've seen in my area is half a mile away.

Fortunately my road gets gritted, it's been done 3 times tonight already! :D

2 weeks back I gritted the pavement in front of my house and regretted it...

1) As soon as I finished I realised I had used over £5 worth of dishwasher salt to do it
2) A child who had been using the icy pavement to "ice-skate" in his shoes got to the boundary line and nearly went flying when his shoes suddenly gripped... :confused: :LOL:

i think your going to get more than in surrey, so thats where our grit has gone :)
That's been my question all night :LOL:
yes, that ice is a whicked thing had afew scary moments myself but have not planted the backside yet...

Sponsored Links
Back