GROUPING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why was the thread locked? Dear Mr Moderater 11, the thread wasn't going nowhere, the OP said he was going to post pictures so we could have a stab at assessing his DIY rewire and shed some light on the 'advice' he had been given . . . it was actually quite an interesting thread, a bit different from the usual 'I cant get my lights to work/how do i connect my oven/is 6mm cable big enough for a shower' . . . ok so some of the resident electricians have done their tut-tut of disapproval seeing someone attempt to do a DIY rewire, and the OP has been a little defensive on being challenged on this but to say the thread is going nowhere and to lock it is totally unjustified and disproportionate. There are thread with pages and pages of insults, drivel and arguing over what can only be described as minor details which are not locked so why this one?

Sponsored Links
I agree with skenk.

(although i must admit, that since i posted in that thread the mods deleted posts and locked the thread before i checked back, so don't know what i missed)

Looks like DAJ probably won't return, hes been flamed for being a bit gung-ho with belief that he is 'competent' which, i suspect, he will never agree with anyone who contradicts him, check the comments on his profile. I could copy and paste the PM he sent me aswell, but it basically says 'don't criticise me, i am competent (ignoring the bits he may have got wrong) get a life, you show off' The only thing missing was a 'boo-hoo' smiley or similar

Lets not even go down the 'how are you going to deal with notification' question. He thinks its £700 quid and three weeks of his time :rolleyes:

not the sharpest knife in the box, me thinks :cool:

. . . ok so some of the resident electricians have done their tut-tut of disapproval seeing someone attempt to do a DIY rewire . . .
Actually it was seeing someone attempt to do a DIY rewire when they are not competent.....

Sponsored Links
To: mikhailfaradayski
9:30 AM Mar. 21, 2011

I've done the job properly - you lot are just p'd off because it proves that the vast amounts of money you charge are not justified!. I came on this forum for opinions, not critism. I haven't the time nor the need to post another thread - nothing to do with spines (fool). You lot clearly are NOT here to help, just to show off how much you know about Part P and building regs. Anyone can follow instruction! - even me! For Gods sake, get a life mate!

To: mikhailfaradayski
1:47 PM Mar. 21, 2011

Why the private messages? I'm simply replying to YOU mate! Just let it drop and get on with your life pal! Like I've said, you lot are simply p'd off because I've showed that what you do does not warrant the vast amounts you charge every day and get away with it. You can quote all the building regs, you can quote all the specs, you can quote all the Parts P and you can quote what can and shouldn't be done. but you're best at quoteing the cost of a job - now **** OFF!

:) a simple 'thank you' would have been enough. Have a nice life! :cool:

Fair enough then mod11, might as well lock and delete, clearly the OP is an idiot right enough.

If they're still reading - if you did indeed spend 'months' researching then i presume you must be in the lucky position of being a monied unemployed homeowner because surely you would have been better spending those months working and saving up for a professional to do the job in a fraction of the time. I see you seem to be yet another punter who thinks that the day rate paid is the amount going to the worker and forgetting all the overheads such as:

Vehicle
Insurances
Tools
Fuel
Time spent attending and writing up quotes, invoices etc.
Holiday pay
Sick pay
Stationery
Marketing
Communications
Bookkeeping
Training
Scheme membership fees
The occasional warranty job
Pension
etc

If you do work, how much do you think it costs your company to actually employ you, excluding your pay? And do you need a toolkit worth thousands and a vehicle/fuel which is thousands more every year?

BAS - I don't believe we are in a position to assess his competence based on the information we have.

If the original post had been a slightly different scenario (eg householder told those things but had not done the rewire themselves) we'd all be falling over ourselves to help them/expose the con merchant.

Fair enough then mod11, might as well lock and delete, clearly the OP is an idiot right enough.
Are we in a position to assess his idiocy based on the information we have? ;)

TBF though, I didn't see all of the posts that led to the previous thread being locked, but there was the one where when asked about diversity he replied "can't dance!"... :rolleyes:

BAS - I don't believe we are in a position to assess his competence based on the information we have.
He's never even heard the term "diversity".

His idea of testing is that if things go on and off as expected then it's OK.

He was so unsure about the correctness of his design that he didn't know if the criticisms from that roofer were valid.

We can judge his competence - he was way out of his depth and had no idea that he was - it's the old unknown unknowns scenario.

Maybe he didn't do a dreadful job, but that would have been by luck rather than judgement, and he really does need to get everything properly checked by someone genuinely competent.

Is it safe to assume that when DAJ came here, and asked a load of questions, finishing with
he was only prepared to read the help he thought he needed to receive, and that any suggestion that his confidence in his competence was misplaced was unacceptable?

That gets right up my nose when people start complaining about prices when I struggle to turn over £100 a day these days, remember idiots, that isn't profit.

So this guy has spent £700 on materials and spent 3 weeks, his rewire has cost him £2200 and if he's notified properly, purchased test exuipment could well be nearer the £3000 mark. Any spark could have saved at least 25% on materials and not spent 3 weeks doing the job and notified it and the guy wouldn't have lost 3 weeks income.

The guy wont post pictures of his work now as he knows it's sub standard and he knows he has dig himself a huge hole. Either will remain an illegal install and be untested and possibly dangerous, or retrospective building control will get involved, a couple of hundred quid to them and exposing all of the wiring and then redecoration afterwards, eitherway penny smart and pund foolish.

Always remember, it costs me, and I suspect almost any of the sparks that can self certify £1.50 + VAT to notify building control, it will cost an unqualified (incompetent) and/or unregistered (maybe competent) person maybe a couple of hundred, and even then the LA will make you get the wiring tested by a third person at the DIYers cost.

If you are serious about DIYing and saving money you should get a good electrician on board from the start, before you do anything. The electrician can design the circuits so you know the correct sized cables to install and give you some good pointers of where and how to run the cables, where to drill through joinst, how deep walls can safely be channelled out, the list goes on. Then he or she can pop back and see all of the wiring running through joists, clipped in chases and mounting of accessories before it is all covered up, with a job lot of connector blocks you could even do insulation resistance tests on circuits to check the cables are 100%. Once all plastering and painting/decorating has been completed then the sparky can come back and you could do the second fix together although i'm quite fussy about how the cables are dressed into the accessories so would prefere to show the DIYer a few before cracking on. The sparky can install the consumer unit and complete all the testing, or you could do it together, it is quicker to do some of the testing with two people.

Slapping it all in and hoping for the best is the stupidest thing anyone can do. It is only going to end in tears, costing more money or having an install that never gets tested so could be dangerous. If it is dangerous and your competency comes into question, the only way you can prove competence is by having qualifications.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back