GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

keyplayer said:
Softus said:
Some people consider that it being illegal is a good enough reason to have the tyre fixed.

There's a sound reason for it being illegal - a tyre with a screw in the tread is capable of deflating and causing an accident.
If you say so.
Oh, please don't feel any need to take my word for it. Ask around; phone the police; look it up; anything really. A bit of common sense would even do as a stop gap.

Is the tyre holding pressure or not? Even if only for several days? If so, it is no more likely to deflate and cause an accident than any other tyre.
Hm. The world would be a much simpler place if only you were right about this. Hey ho.

And has anyone ever been prosecuted for having a screw in a tyre? I doubt it.
If a screw caused a tyre to deflate and thereby caused an accident, then I doubt that the driver wouldn't be prosecuted. However, unlike you, I fail to see the relevance of knowing the answer to this hypothetical question. The Road Traffic legislation is heavily based on safety and a duty of care for oneself and for other road users, not on finding whimsical reasons to prosecute people.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Is the tyre holding pressure or not? Even if only for several days? If so, it is no more likely to deflate and cause an accident than any other tyre.
Hm. The world would be a much simpler place if only you were right about this. Hey ho..

The complexity of the world is irrelevant. I AM right.

Softus said:
If a screw caused a tyre to deflate and thereby caused an accident, then I doubt that the driver wouldn't be prosecuted.

Really? I doubt that he would be prosecuted. How would he know he had a screw in his tyre if it hadn't deflated until the accident? Diminished responsibility if ever I theoretically saw it. How did crafty know he had a screw in HIS tyre?

keyplayer said:
I AM right.
So be it.

keyplayer said:
Softus said:
If a screw caused a tyre to deflate and thereby caused an accident, then I doubt that the driver wouldn't be prosecuted.
Really?
Yes. Really. Why did I have to repeat this?

I doubt that he would be prosecuted.
And why did you have to repeat that?

How would he know he had a screw in his tyre if it hadn't deflated until the accident?
Walk around car with legs. Point eyes at tyres. Process images with brain. Drive to tyre place with limbs.

None of this is hard, and all of it is advised both in the Highway Code and pretty much every vehicle manufacturer's user manual since Day One of Tarmac.

Diminished responsibility if ever I theoretically saw it.
It seems that you're using a different definition of the legal defense of DR, compared to everyone else in the land.

How did crafty know he had a screw in HIS tyre?
This would seem to be a question for someone else. However, i'm going to put money on someone, somewhere, at some point, having brazenly deployed the cunning legs/eye/brain trick.

Lol @ Softus. Kwik Fit must love you... Crafty should have saved himself £27.90 and left the screw in - looks like a good few hundred miles left in that tyre and the screw is in just the right place for peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
keyplayer said:
Lol @ Softus. Kwik Fit must love you...
Not the Kwik Fit monkeys! :eek:

I go to a local independent who pride themselves on good customer service.

Crafty should have saved himself £27.90 and left the screw in - looks like a good few hundred miles left in that tyre and the screw is in just the right place for peace of mind.
You nearly had me - I was so close to taking you seriously then. ;)

Actually, not close at all - I was just being nice. :evil:

Softus said:
How did crafty know he had a screw in HIS tyre?
This would seem to be a question for someone else. However, i'm going to put money on someone, somewhere, at some point, having brazenly deployed the cunning legs/eye/brain trick.
correct. I departed from my house, turned and locked the front door. I then turned to the car, which was parked about an inch from the house wall, facing the house. The wheels were pointing to the front door, due to the curve of the driveway, and i saw a small round silver dot on the tyre, facing me. closer inspection revealed it to be a countersunk woodscrew. So I continued my journey to the co-op late shop on foot. When I returned home I set about jacking the car up on its dangerously-small and unstable jack, and changed the wheel for the journey to the tyre shop the next day. I changed the wheel because i didn't want to endanger other road users and myself, in the event of sudden deflation of the faulty tyre.

crafty rests my case. By all means check your tyre pressures regularly, every day if need be but in future, park with your wheels perpendicular to the rack and save a few quid. Ignorance is monetary bliss!

crafty1289 said:
perhaps masona was advising future readers of this thread who may be in a similar position as i was 3 days ago when i found the offending foreign object in one of my tyres
Yep ;) I always get it repairs or buy a new tyre, I for one will never ever leave any screws in any of my tyres. Now think hard about this, a screw have a thread which the internal rubber is not covered 100% in the tyre and only air tight because of the countersunk head, remove the screw head, the air will leak out, the head will wear out eventfully. £27 is a bargain if it does save your life :!:

You lot are a tyre marketing mans wet dream. Crafty was in far more danger from his Mickey Mouse jack than he was from an anyspeed blow-out. (no mention of axle stands either!)

keyplayer said:
You lot are a tyre marketing mans wet dream. Crafty was in far more danger from his Mickey Mouse jack than he was from an anyspeed blow-out. (no mention of axle stands either!)
Ford's fault that. Nowhere under the spare wheel was there an axle stand or breeze block or brick. And the jack was so small it might as well have been invisibe :LOL:

keyplayer said:

Your tyres are the only contact that you have no control from the car touching the road.

Running your car at 70mph with under normal acceptable pressures is dangerous which you have no knowing of any air leaking out before it's too late.

So your advice to me and many others car & motorbike owners who read this forum is to leave the screw in the tyre :?:

keyplayer said:
And you're a berk, advocating that he take a risk with his and other people's lives, all for the sake of £27.

I'd be interested to see your scientific anaylsis that has led to your conclusion that the jack was a greater hazard, because without it your claim is just a f*art in the wind, and a tiny one at that.

crafty1289 said:
keyplayer said:
Ford's fault that. Nowhere under the spare wheel was there an axle stand or breeze block or brick. And the jack was so small it might as well have been invisibe :LOL:

Thinking cap on !
Remove spare from mounting boot or otherwise.
Set jack and take a little of the weight.
Loosen wheel nuts a single turn.
Begin to jack up vehicle, slide spare under lowest part of suspension behind problem wheel, continue jacking, remove suspect wheel.
Swap with the spare, under lowest body / suspension point.
Under those conditions, given a normal wheel, if the jack fails, the under car wheel will support the car somewhat more than nothing... and ensure clearance to fit another jack.. not easy if the car has a corner on the deck .. In the corner down situation, Floor / cill panels may become damaged by an enthusiasticly applied lever pivotting on a wooden block plus tis not easy to use a lever and push packing under the fallen vehicle.. when alone... Even if the vehicle isn't sitting on one's leg.
:eek:
PS. £27 tyre .... was it a remould? Keep your eye on it for bulges and tread lifting..
:D :D

Softus said:
And you're a berk, advocating that he take a risk with his and other people's lives, all for the sake of £27.

I'd be interested to see your scientific anaylsis[sic.] that has led to your conclusion that the jack was a greater hazard, because without it your claim is just a f*art in the wind, and a tiny one at that.

I've run many tyres with several screws in them, motorcycle tyres at that. And if they are inflated they WILL NOT blow out. Now if they have a slow leak, and one allows them to deflate too far, and continues to run them then they will blow out as a result of overheating, not as a result of air rapidly escaping. And I've seen at least three of those silly jacks warp , one of which collapsed altogether luckily not injuring anyone. I'll pocket the £27 pounds thanks. (actually much more for m/cycle tyres) And you're a twit.

Not very scientific granted, but nothing like personal experience. (I estimate I've done several times more motorcycle miles with nails and screws in the tyres than without, almost exclusively rear tyres. It's what tubeless tyres were designed for surely lol)

masona said:
So your advice to me and many others car & motorbike owners who read this forum is to leave the screw in the tyre

If it's holding pressure and has tread left, yes. If it's leaking air too quickly then plug it. Although if you all did that, then I wouldn't get my perfectly usable tyres for free out of the NTS skip.

masona said:
Running your car at 70mph with under normal acceptable pressures is dangerous
No it isn't.

keyplayer said:
I've run many tyres with several screws in them, motorcycle tyres at that. And if they are inflated they WILL NOT blow out. Now if they have a slow leak, and one allows them to deflate too far, and continues to run them then they will blow out as a result of overheating, not as a result of air rapidly escaping. And I've seen at least three of those silly jacks warp , one of which collapsed altogether luckily not injuring anyone. I'll pocket the £27 pounds thanks. (actually much more for m/cycle tyres) And you're a twit.
and you're a berk, as has been said before, and as this paragraph proves.

and the tyre wasn't a remould as far as i know, just a budget tyre fitted by a small backstreet tyre/exhaust shop in the roughest area of rotherham. Hence v cheap :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back