GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

crafty1289 said:
keyplayer said:
I've run many tyres with several screws in them, motorcycle tyres at that. And if they are inflated they WILL NOT blow out. Now if they have a slow leak, and one allows them to deflate too far, and continues to run them then they will blow out as a result of overheating, not as a result of air rapidly escaping. And I've seen at least three of those silly jacks warp , one of which collapsed altogether luckily not injuring anyone. I'll pocket the £27 pounds thanks. (actually much more for m/cycle tyres) And you're a twit.
and you're a berk, as has been said before, and as this paragraph proves.

Well you are also a twit then crafty. And which part of the paragraph proves I am a berk?

Sponsored Links
Man, apologies in advance but I'd missed this little gem:-

crafty1289 said:
keyplayer, the tyre will be less resistant to SHOCK. one big bump could send the screw flying into someone's eyes and the sudden depressurisation could rip the tyre straight off the rim depending what speed you are doing. Think about it - 400kg dropping onto one point is a pretty big blow.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . That's a cracker lol.

keyplayer said:
masona said:
Running your car at 70mph with under normal acceptable pressures is dangerous
No it isn't.
Hmmm, then why are they are now suggesting a early warning devices which reduce car tyre blow-out :?:

The risk of an accident due to under-inflated tyres

keyplayer said:
Now if they have a slow leak, and one allows them to deflate too far, and continues to run them then they will blow out as a result of overheating, not as a result of air rapidly escaping.
Then what's the difference if the air is escaping slowly from the screw :?:

masona said:
keyplayer said:
masona said:
Running your car at 70mph with under normal acceptable pressures is dangerous
No it isn't.
Hmmm, then why are they are now suggesting a early warning devices which reduce car tyre blow-out :?:

The risk of an accident due to under-inflated tyres

keyplayer said:
Now if they have a slow leak, and one allows them to deflate too far, and continues to run them then they will blow out as a result of overheating, not as a result of air rapidly escaping.
Then what's the difference if the air is escaping slowly from the screw :?:

Sorry, I thought you'd meant normal pressures. I see what you mean now, and you are of course correct.

Sponsored Links
I noticed a nail in my motorbike back tyre last year and rode 5 miles home at 25mph all the way. When I got home I removed the wheel and tried to remove the nail without first deflating the tyre. Even though I got some pincers under the head it was extremely hard to remove , and I think that if I had left it, it would have stayed in. However, I am not foolish enough to risk the safety of myself and others on such a vague theory and if I pick up another nail or screw I will sort it ASAP.

Softus said:
I'd be interested to see your scientific anaylsis that has led to your conclusion that the jack was a greater hazard, because without it your claim is just a f*art in the wind, and a tiny one at that.
keyplayer said:
something that didn't involve any scientific analysis
You seem to have difficulty in distinguishing between things that have happened to you and the risks that other people take - these are two very different things.

It doesn't matter what has or hasn't happened to you and your tyres. What matters is that crafty1289 was concerned about his tyre and the attendant danger. In this context your opinion that the tyre won't deflate is irrelevant - it matters only that it might deflate.

"Survivor bias" tells us that people who drive around with screws, nails and broken bottles stuck in their tires, and have no accident, will come here and tell us so.

However, people who drive around with screws, nails and broken bottles stuck in their tires, and as a result have fatal accidents, will not.

That might give us a distorted view.

Softus said:
Softus said:
I'd be interested to see your scientific anaylsis that has led to your conclusion that the jack was a greater hazard, because without it your claim is just a f*art in the wind, and a tiny one at that.
keyplayer said:
something that didn't involve any scientific analysis
You seem to have difficulty in distinguishing between things that have happened to you and the risks that other people take - these are two very different things.

It doesn't matter what has or hasn't happened to you and your tyres. What matters is that crafty1289 was concerned about his tyre and the attendant danger. In this context your opinion that the tyre won't deflate is irrelevant - it matters only that it might deflate.

In which case nobody should drive anywhere at all because all tyres might deflate at any time. And if opinions are irrelevant then what is the point of this site at all?

JohnD said:
screws, nails and broken bottles stuck in their tires

Sorry, what have broken bottles to do with anything?

JohnD said:
That might give us a distorted view.
Good observation.

On an entirely different point, which really ought to be the start of a new topic, I've just realised that walking through a railway tunnel isn't dangerous. I used to do this a lot (as a teenager), and I was never hit by a train - not even once.

Based on this evidence I've concluded that it's impossible to be hit by a train while walking in a railway tunnel. keyplayer - I nominate you to see if my postulate is borne out in practise.

Some vehicles have holes put in their tyres on purpose so they can't be inflated with air, only expanding foam.

Softus, you are just being silly now.

It is not just my opinion. I know several people in the London courier industry who share my point of view - all people who rely on tyres for both a living and survival. You can think and do what you like. I shall continue to seek maximum economy out of my tyres, and there is no greater believer in self preservation than me.

Sponsored Links
Back