GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I suppose i should be grateful it was this tyre, the one with least tread left on it! I've heard of nails getting embedded in tyres, but never screws :confused:

It was a nightmare to get the wheel off too, it had rusted itself to the disc! I oiled it, banged it, kicked it, took 20 mins to get it off :evil: The spare is in a similar condition, so gonna get them both changed since the spare is the same size. And i have the crappy Ford wheeltrims that need so much force to get off, you think its gonna snap in 2.

Why me? :(

Sponsored Links
I hear that the popularity of replacement double glazing has led to thousands of vans hurtling about the roads, their floors knee-deep in sharp stainless screws that fall out and lie there until they find a tyre.

JohnD said:
I hear that the popularity of replacement double glazing has led to thousands of vans hurtling about the roads, their floors knee-deep in sharp stainless screws that fall out and lie there until they find a tyre.
aren't electrician's vans and plumber's vans in a similar state (small components everywhere)? or are these trades more organised? :cool: :LOL:

out of interest, what is the purpose of the little metal "clip" thats hooked on the rim of the wheel on each side? and how exactly do car tyres keep the air in if they are tubeless? i have always wondered this. im sure there is a very obvious answer!!

Why not just leave the screw in until binning the tyre?

what is the purpose of the little metal "clip" thats hooked on the rim of the wheel on each side?

Sounds like balance weights to me. (to balance valve and wheel imperfections)

how exactly do car tyres keep the air in if they are tubeless?

By using non porous materials in the manufacturing process. (for tyres AND wheels)

Sponsored Links
You need to kick the wheel in the right place to get it to jump off!!! :LOL:
Metal clips, do you mean the ballancing weights? Bah, beat me to it Keyplayer!
The air pressure in the tyre pushes the rubber tyre against the rim creating a seal which is why it stays up, pressure inside tyre is greater than atmospheric pressure pushing it out like a balloon.

keyplayer said:
Some people consider that it being illegal is a good enough reason to have the tyre fixed.

There's a sound reason for it being illegal - a tyre with a screw in the tread is capable of deflating and causing an accident.

Depending on how much damage the screw has done it may be possible to have the tyre stitched, if its worth it depending on how much tread there is left on the tyre.

When we got a screw in our tyre our local quickfit plugged it for free!
The tyre was otherwise in good condition though...

all sorted - got a new tyre for £27.90 from a local tyre shop. heaps of tread, should keep me going! There was practically no tread left on the old one. Guy at the tyre shop agreed there was no point repairing the old one.

BTW, is it normal for a new tyre to screech a bit when accelerating? I was pulling off up a hill earlier and the new tyre screeched a bit. :confused: could it be the heat affecting it too?

oddly enough Halfords used to find screws in my tyres whenever i took my car in for an mot. On 3 occasions brand new screws were found, heads not even worn I might add. After the second occasion I was a bit suspicious, so I checked the tyres after parking at Halfords, no screws, a few hours later I got a call tyre failed because it had a screw in it. It also happened to a colleague of mine when he took his car to Halfords. :confused:

nstreet said:
oddly enough Halfords used to find screws in my tyres whenever i took my car in for an mot. On 3 occasions brand new screws were found, heads not even worn I might add. After the second occasion I was a bit suspicious, so I checked the tyres after parking at Halfords, no screws, a few hours later I got a call tyre failed because it had a screw in it. It also happened to a colleague of mine when he took his car to Halfords. :confused:

:rolleyes: you been done good and proper mate. :LOL:

local halfords has closed their car repair garage, its just a shop now.

My son noticed 1 nail each in 3 tyres :eek: :cry:

Just took my car this morning with a screw :rolleyes: and Kwik-fit fit did it free apart from the drink money ;)

It's not worth it, get it fix or risk a blow-out accident.

Softus said:
keyplayer said:
Some people consider that it being illegal is a good enough reason to have the tyre fixed.

There's a sound reason for it being illegal - a tyre with a screw in the tread is capable of deflating and causing an accident.

If you say so. However, I am not one of those people. Is the tyre holding pressure or not? Even if only for several days? If so, it is no more likely to deflate and cause an accident than any other tyre. A lot safer than a mint condition tubed type tyre. And has anyone ever been prosecuted for having a screw in a tyre? I doubt it.

crafty1289 said:
nstreet said:

:rolleyes: you been done good and proper mate. :LOL:

local halfords has closed their car repair garage, its just a shop now.
perhaps that should have read "you been screwed good and proper mate" in order to keep the thread on topic :LOL:

and perhaps masona was advising future readers of this thread who may be in a similar position as i was 3 days ago when i found the offending foreign object in one of my tyres

keyplayer, the tyre will be less resistant to SHOCK. one big bump could send the screw flying into someone's eyes and the sudden depressurisation could rip the tyre straight off the rim depending what speed you are doing. Think about it - 400kg dropping onto one point is a pretty big blow.

Sponsored Links
Back