Guttering dispute with next door neighbour

Hi PTS2
They have e mailed to say their solicitors are dealing with it but I thought surely it would make sense to put this to an end before legal costs spiral out of control and communicate with them direct as I haven't had contact from their solicitors yet

I feel confident that I have enough proof that this is a illegitimate claim but still feel in the back of my mind that I don't want to fire all my bullets too soon

Sponsored Links
PTS2
I meant to say I agree this is odd because surely the insurance should have contacted me before replacing all his guttering and then trying to lump me with a £5000 grand bill

I wish I could get a definite answer as to whether they are allowed to do that ..surely there are rules they have to abide by ??

Well it makes no sense, perhaps the neighbour spent the five grand and is using his house insurance policy legal cover to recover it from you.

Wait for the solicitor's letter and decide your next steps (which should be through the doorway of your own solicitor)

Sponsored Links
Hi Big all

I phoned them on the number on the letter that i received almost 4 weeks after they had replaced his guttering, Bu its definitly a legite letter and insurance company

I rang their customer complaints team when this first started and i found that via google

Firstly for now ignore the surveyors report.
Write to the insurance company asking them to clarify exactly what damage they claim you have caused and then reply to their response. they may very well quote the surveyors report back to you and then you can respond to the relevant claims.
Don't go offering denials or explanations for things that they may not claim against you.
Do that before all else so you know what your up against.
Until we know exactly what they are claiming there's not really much more advice I can give at this stage.

Thanks chappers

Your advice is always sound

Can I ask do you work in insurance as you seem to have a good grasp of how to go about this

No I'm a builder, but been involved in a couple of legal disputes, and been advised by family solicitors that it's always best to just stick to the facts as they relate to the subject and not muddy the waters by trying to second guess a response ahead of the fact..

Thanks chappers

that sounds like great advice..I,ll keep you updated but im not expecting this to move quickly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back