Had a custom distribution board built

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently carrying out a rewire at a small industrial unit. Requirements are 16 x 3Ph BS60898 ways and 12 x 3Ph 63A BS88 fuse ways (welders).
Rather than use two boards a colleague came across a company who builds custom distribution boards.
My colleague went through our requirements, amount of MCB ways, fuse ways, single 250A isolator, suitably rated bus bars etc.
Upon opening the finished product we were faced with this:

interlocked%20isolator.jpg

First problem, an interlocked isolator. Wonder what we would need to do to reset an MCB?
It would mean full isolation of the whole factory and offices. Not a very good start.

Inside:

inside.jpg

My colleague made it clear that many cables would be entering the panel from the top via two 4x4 pieces of trunking. Cables for the welders (BS88) would be 10mm.
Imagine fitting all the MCB's up the right hand side and how much space that would leave us.

Same lack of space down the sides of the fuse carriers:

lack%20of%20room%20for%20terminating.jpg

As it was made very clear, we required 16 x 3ph MCB ways and 12 x 3ph BS88 ways, neutrals included. Look at the earth and neutral bars!

earth%20bar.jpg

neutral%20bar.jpg

They won't go very far will they, especially as there will be many single phase supplies connected.

One thing that really surprised us was the isolator they fitted for the BS60898 rail which was supplied from the main vertical bus bar.
Spot the mistake!

bypassed%20isolator.jpg

Woodscrew to secure the din rail:

woodscrew%20or%20self%20tapping%20screw.jpg

A boat load of swarf and a mystery hole to boot!

swarf.jpg

more%20swarf.jpg

mystery%20hole.jpg

All the problems were emailed to the panel builder who accepted full responsibility in a return email. He said that a full refund couldn't be auctioned due to the nature of a custom build and offered a list of rectifications.

"Re-apply labels straight.
Remove the interlock mechanism from the switch handle
Replace the Earth and Neutral Bus bars with 16mm numbered din rail terminals
Shorten the 3 Phase bus bar
Fabricate a Perspex bus bar cover.
Heat shrink all of the tags
Re-wire the isolators for the MCB’s
Re-box in a 1200 x 1000 x 300 enclosure. This is the largest enclosure we can supply. With the removal of the earth bar and shortening of the 3 phase bars, this should give you enough room at the top for your incoming cables.
Swarf will not be present."

The instant worry was the perspex bus bar cover and how well it would shroud the bus bars considering the interlocked isolator would be replaced with a non interlocked isolator.
My colleague phoned the company today and was told that the perspex cover would only cover the front of the bus bars and not the sides. We think that's totally unacceptable considering untrained people may open the door to reset an MCB. (IP ratings).

Would we be asking to much for a custom panel to be built to a relevant British standard for a distribution board?
The company state that they will not build to any standard nor offer a certificate of compliance.

Doesn't BS7671 require equipment and accessories to be to a relevant standard?

Any help or advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
Have you payed them for it? :eek: :eek:

I really would tell to insert that panel somewhere where the sun don't shine.

Having seen the state of that, I'd stick with the tried and tested 2 board type setup.

Is it just me or the MCB busbars fed from the wrong side of those terribly undersized switch disconnectors? :eek: :eek: :eek:

That really is disgraceful

It's not actually paid for yet, when I say they won't offer I refund I mean they still want payment.
A first year apprentice could have done a better job!

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, but that is not fit to be connected to the mains.

It is their fault, not yours, so how on earth can they expect you to pay for it?

I would go through BS7671 and write down all the regulations that pile of sh1te breaks, and explain that is why you are refusing to pay

It's so far away from being fit for purpose that the mind boggles.

Keep the photos, document all the departures from your spec (hope that was in writing), all the safety issues etc, and reject the whole thing.

Tell them they can whistle for their money, and tell them about all the faults and dangers that will be mentioned in court if they decide to go there.

16th ed. regulations 511-01-01 / 511-01-02

So installing that would leave you with an installation which does not comply with BS7671, and therefore you can't issue certificates to the client.

The client will not pay you without certificates, so you can not pay the supplier for that atrocity.

16th ed. regulations 511-01-01 / 511-01-02

So installing that would leave you with an installation which does not comply with BS7671, and therefore you can't issue certificates to the client.

The client will not pay you without certificates, so you can not pay the supplier for that atrocity.

Thankyou very much :)

Spark123";p="903355 said:
Yeah, I can see your point! TN-S supply. With that Ze you wouldn't even be allowed type C 63A breakers.

Nope, pfc is 550A and there's a volt drop issue on the supply cable, drops to 206v on one phase with a loading of 50A.
United Utilities currently have logging equipment connected. Even if we get a new supply (probably will) I doubt Ze and R1+R2 combined would fall comfortably within the spec of a D63 so had no choice but to go for BS88's.

Only one of the welders requires a 63A supply (50A rated) and it's wired in 10mm 4c XLPE SWA which will carry 73A. It's central in the workshop, away from any of the trunking we've installed so SWA would be the best option.
The other welders will be fused at 32A. 10mm singles were selected for these due to grouping in the trunking.
All carriers were selected as 63A for any future upgrades.

We wanted to keep all welders on the BS88 side of the distribution board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back