Had a quote - got a query on parts

Sponsored Links
Ok cheers guys. I'm waiting for the quote to come back and am getting a couple of other quotes. Will see if any of the others run their business in the same way. I'm not bothered about saving a few hundred quid if it could cause problems later down the line.

and newgasinstaller - at least you're honest!

In practice, using that very honest installer will not create any problems at all for you.

There will be a saving for you of the 20% VAT that he would otherwise have had to charge you on his LABOUR only. If he charged you £700 then that would be £140.

Some above have mentioned a potential problem. That arises because the merchant sold you the boiler and NOT the installer.

In reality its not going to be relevant. If the RGI sold you the boiler then the transaction becomes subject to the Sale of Goods legislation. If the boiler was on "unsaleable quality" then you would in theory have a claim against the RGI.

The manufacturers cover that problem by arguing to the court that they sell thousands of boilers and they can only do that because the boilers are of adequate quality.

So that point, although legally correct, is not of any relevance to any normal boiler installation.

Tony

I'm speaking from personal experience within the last four years.

My son had a new boiler about then and I was guarding his house while he was at work. The new boiler was delivered by the merchants and I was asked to sign the delivery note. The paperwork left with the boiler etc showed the prices charged to the installer. They were much less than I could have purchased the boiler from any internet source; and that' taking VAT into account.

A single example of just one transaction does not create evidence of a normal trade practice.

Would you like to quote the boiler model and the price inc VAT that the installer paid? We will then compare supplier prices available to anyone.

As a matter of interest what did the installer charge for the boiler?

Usually the merchant only delivers with a note blanking out the prices but some, rather annoyingly, do show the prices! That upsets those who add a premium.

A good RGI will attend free if there is any problem during the warranty period and see what it is and either invoke a warranty repair or advise you of the procedure. Of course the fit it, get paid and scarper don't!

Sponsored Links
There will be a saving for you of the 20% VAT that he would otherwise have had to charge you on his LABOUR only. If he charged you £700 then that would be £140.
Go educate yourself on this matter, this is complete rubbish my friend.

Could be the guy has been stitched up by a customer in the past and had to take a hit on cost of materials so he is now just covering his arris.

The other way he could do it is to ask for all materials costs on delivery and pay as cash ticket

As Agile says majority of merchants will sell boilers rads etc to public at trade prices even advertising fixed prices in there catalogue or posters in merchants .
The main benefit of a trade account now is the up to 7 weeks to pay

Nothing wrong with the RGI doing what he is doing.

He doesnt want to be VAT registered so is keeping his turnover down.
Also saves him the bother of customers coming onto forums like this and moaning about what the RGI is charging for parts(Not a dig at the OP, just a general observation).

If you like him and his quote is good, go for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back