Hardwiring a one gang shortlength ( 1 ft approx) extending lead into a wall outlet

Where does it say that removing a plug will NOT invalidate its warranty. Any consumer bodies or Gov guidance on this to be sure.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Nowhere would it say that, would it?

You will have to find a manufacturer who states that it would.

At the risk of stating something that you've probably worked out for yourself at this point, if you have specific requirements about how your TV is mounted, get one that doesn't have a hard-wired mains cable.
Oled TVs tend to be my preference and their power chords are all hardwired

Where the cable go's into the tv is there a panel that you can unscrew and then if you are lucky the connection in the tv is with some kind of screw connector block so you can just swap the cable over and keep the original plug cable and put it back if it needs warranty repair.
i haven't bought one yet as i am waiting unitl the prices come down in April/May when the new models are released

Sponsored Links
Where dose it say that removing a plug will NOT invalidate its warranty. Any consumer bodies or Gov guidance on this to be sure.
AS I understand it, it is common knowledge , however I will check the manufacturer before purchase

Unless they specifically state that you can't cut it off then it doesn't invalidate the warranty. But even if they did then this would be unenforceable anyway, as it would be judged as an unfair contract.

Cutting off the plug is a perfectly normal thing to do.

Unless they specifically state that you can't cut it off then it doesn't invalidate the warranty. But even if they did then this would be unenforceable anyway, as it would be judged as an unfair contract.

Cutting off the plug is a perfectly normal thing to do.
But they say things like any alteration from factory supplied or something like that.

No.

There could easily be situations where plugs need replacing, eg, when a plug gets stuck in a socket outlet due to overheating. The only solution is to replace the socket and cut the plug off the appliance and replace it.

In all the appliance instructions I have read, there is direction on replacing the plug if necessary.

There is also the very rare "common sense".

What possible difference could changing a plug make?

There is also the very rare "common sense".

What possible difference could changing a plug make?
the claim is that it is dangerous practice, although i don't see why it should be so in my case as I have it hardwired to a wall outlet which in turn is connected to a switch. It was all done by an electrician as well

Who claims such nonsense?

Some claim the world is flat; it is not.
To be fair I dont think that is a very good analogy, but there are plenty of people on various forums that will make that claim , either that or that it will invalidate a warranty . For many of us who know sod all about electrics and the laws that apply to it, it's a matter of conjecture which is why we seek advice

Nobody can prove that something invisible doesn't exist.

I have fairies in my garden. Unless you can prove that they don't exist then I'm right.

You'd do better looking for proof that such a condition actually exists, and assuming that it doesn't if not.

Or just phone or email whatever brand of TV you have, ask them yourself instead of relying on internet gossip then spending hours trying to work around a rule that doesn't appear to exist.

Here then from my Bosch dishwasher.
170336732.jpg

IMG_20240103_170336732.jpg
So if you remove the plug its an intervention performed by an unauthorised person and if you cut off the plug to pass the wire the moulded plug to pass through a small hole then refit another plug then its being fitted with a non original spare part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back