Harry and pack1

JohnD . Go and open your curtains and have a look outside. What you see is the real world not what you read in a tabloid or on a computer screen.
When you go for a take away is it a chinese or do you say chinky are you being racist or is the guy behind the counter offended because that is what you commonly call it i very much doubt it.
Ripping the pish into each other is part of team building look at any group of mates throught the country and they will call each other far worse ,

Sponsored Links
HRH's ethnically challenged friend is not making a public fuss over a trivial matter, so who are we to take it upon ourselves to do it on his behalf. I wonder what the guys in his platoon call HRH? Don't forget that HRH and his friend were fellow officers - both went to Sandhurst. There might be more cause for complaint if HRH referred to one of the other ranks in the way complained about.

The NOTW (and The Sun, Times and Sunday Times) is owned by News Corporation - run by Rupert Murdoch, who is a well known anti-monarchist. So anything which can show the Royal Family in a bad light will get coverage in one of his papers.

Is Geordie racist?
Is Jock?
Is Taffy?
Is Mick?
Is Paddy?
Is Kiwi?
Is Yank?
Is Brit?

Is being PC, PC?

Well said DH.

Having been a member of HMF for several years, I was well aware - and was on the receiving end - of nicknames, abuse, call it what you will. Did it offend me? Did it ferk as like; and neither should it when it's meant in jest, is just general horseplay and is what's commonly known as "forces humour"; the vast majority of strawbs will never get it. And I gave as good as I got, all in fun. There's nothing racist in the Gingered One's comment. It's perjorative, but so what? Regardless of how blokes address one another, when it comes to it, they will willingly put their lives on the line for their oppos, be they black, white or any shades in between. That's how HMF works.

Did the guy involved complain? Nope. But, yet again the hand-wringers who seek to tell us all how we have to think take up the cudgel purely for their own self-interests, and attempt to cause conflict and hatred in so doing.

And, ffs, it was THREE YEARS ago.

A lot of people need to get a life... :rolleyes:

It's not abuse if the person is not offended.
That doesn't seem right.

If I used abusive language, or an abusive style, and directed it at you, is it not possible to deem my behaviour to be offensive, without even knowing whether or not you just laughed it off?

In this situations it seems that its the do gooders and PC people who do the complaining.
Er, in this situation the army claims to regard the behaviour as unacceptable enough to warrant an investigation. Do you consider the army to be a do-good or PC organisation? :eek:

Compare with bro's from the hood calling their kindred by the "n" word. If they don't mind, then why should others mind when someone else calls them by the "n" word?
Because it's deemed to be offensive if the offence was meant, or if the use of the term was inconsiderate.

I think Harry's behaviour has been blown up out of proportion, but use of a racist term is automatically abusive because of the special prominence given to racism, not least owing to specific legislation.

What is offensive about Pak1 anyway, its only an abbreviation? If a Yank calls me a Brit, its the same thing.
It very much isn't, because of the legacy of the term "Paki", which at one point in England's recent history was intended to be extremely abusive and/or demeaning.

Of course it's possible to use any word as a term of endearment, in private, which it seems is what Harry did, but it's just completely foolish to use a word that everyone knows is capable of causing offence, and then claim with wide-eyed innocence that you never meant it that way. This is the same person who wore a symbol of Nazi Germany, during an era in which the same behaviour wouldn't be acceptable in Germany itself.

The onus isn't on ethnic minorities to feel treated as equals - it's on everyone else to treat them (and everyone) as equals.

If you don't regularly call your best friends "Brit", then what possible justification can you have for calling a supposed friend a "Paki"?

Racists need to think up some new excuses - the old ones are wearing very thin.

Sponsored Links
What a sad little world someone lives in that everday words get deamed as racist and un acceptable.
Cant wait to see the press this morning there was a programme on last night that had people regularly using the N word, havin a go at chinks ,irish and gays and people would have been openly laughing at it and will discuss it today at work and still be laughing .

What a bunch of racists they must be for finding Blazing saddles funny :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Racists need to think up some new excuses - the old ones are wearing very thin.
Whereas you seem to think I wrote:

Please trot out the same, old, worn-out, neo-sarcastic, retaliatory, whimsical, empty reasons for failing to change while the world changes around you.

Ahmeds father found it offensive thats enough

is it ok to call all brits Kn0bheads?

If we were, would you want to go out and hit someone? Or would you just not be that bothered about it; sticks and stones and all that.

It's got cokk-all to do with Ahmed's father, it was neither about him, nor directed at him, why should he get indignant on anyone else's behalf?

Oh you old cynic you...! I bet the thought never entered his head... :LOL:

as india is on the verge of going to war, or at least a military strike against pakistan i wonder what niceties each country will call the other when the blood starts to flow ,

plus its only whites who are racist
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: unless you join the black police fed movement. ;)

Obviously the views above are not from anyone whose pakistani or lived through the 60's or 70's with being abused by skinheads using that word.

So as has been said Tim it is in the context of how its being said. A paxi can call another a paxi and thats acceptable but if anyone other than that says it ,its wrong even when used in exactly the same way .
Is that right ??

I went to Preston last week (used my bus pass) and got a snip of a bargain.
The other day, a member of our family saw the item I had bought and enquired where I had got it at the snip of a price.
I said it was from “the **** shop across from the bus station”.
“Oh! I know which shop you mean. I’ll call in and get one.”
No offence meant and a free recommendation for the shop.
I am now living in fear of our conversation being videoed and that ‘Sunday rag’ getting a copy of the tape in three years time.
The politically correct team should wind their necks in, get a life and realise that the term that HRH is accused of using is not necessarily a racist term.
As for the N.O.T.W. and its editorial staff, dragging something up that happened three years ago is a sign that they are not living in the real world. In case they haven’t noticed, there is a WAR going on in the Middle East and Israel and Hamas are having a right ding-dong battle that would have been of more interest to Sunday paper readers that a bit of history involving the Royal Family.

Sponsored Links
Back