Have I been ripped off - how much should this have cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have had a single Storey extension done out the back of my 1970s Seimi-Detached house. Builder arranged an electrician, do to first and second fix but he was very vague about how much any extras were going to cost. I kept asking but it was all a rush as he just turned up to do the job on the day.

I expected the extras to be a few hundred quid.

When I got the bill for the "extras" I was godsmacked- can you let me know if this is reasonable.

Note these were done as first and second fix.

7 Twin Sockets
TV point - e.g. Arial Socket- run into loft, but not connected to Arial.
Hob Spur for oven
Hood Spur for oven
4 Kitchen lights
2 Wall lights
1 Centre light
Main earth wire changed
Mails tail + main earth
External Twin socket

The bill for these "extras" was just short of £1000.

If I have been ripped off, what can I do about it? I havnt paid the bill yet, and was going to write him a letter saying I thought it seemed too much money. (compared to my sisters large 3 bed house, which she had totally rewired, 1st, 2nd fix and a burgular alarm too for £800.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't say you've been ripped off (hard to tell without seeing) but one thing is for sure - your sister got a bargain!

My burglar alarm cost £800+ to install when I bought my house in 1999.

A rewire + alarm for £800? What in the 1980's?

£1000 could be right, depending on the level of work involved.

A decent rewire these days goes from around 2.5K up.

Sponsored Links
I don't think I've ever seen a rewire that cheap. :eek:

You'd be hard pressed to buy the parts even at trade prices for that.

What were all the extras for? the builder should have given a quote for the build including the work for electrics etc. If the extras were for more than 3 - 4 days extra work then price was near enough. I would suggest you don't pay until you are happy you have the answers you want. I take it he was a Part P registered electrician. Pin the builder down and wave the cheque book at him. There are to many rip off merchants around.

those prices seems about right considering how much work is actually involved, thats a pretty big list

All the things on the list were the extras.

We were going to try and get the builder to pay for the Hob Spur and Hood spurs as he knew it was a kitchen going in, and that these items would be in there- he paid for the gas connection for the hob, so why not the electrics for it.

The electrician was in the house approx 3 days for the entire job, not just the extras.

It does include the electrical installation certificate which he has sent with the bill

I price my work at £200 per day plus parts. Get the screwfix catalogue out as a rough guide for prices and you have a rough idea of what my costs would have been for the job.

Don't forget to add in the cable used and also things like screws etc as they all cost. I add £10 as a consumables charge on each job.

Thanks for all your help guys and gals.

Going by screwfix, and including a tenners worth of consumables I make that less than £100 worth of sockets and switches. (and thats not even with bulk pack buys or trade discounts)

Thanks for all your help guys and gals.

Going by screwfix, and including a tenners worth of consumables I make that less than £100 worth of sockets and switches. (and thats not even with bulk pack buys or trade discounts)

Did you include cable, I have just done a similar job and the cable was £100 alone

Ok. If you don't mind me asking, if £1K is the bill for the extras, what was the bill for the rest?

Perhaps a little excessive, but the price of the other work carried out at the same time is pretty relevant in determining that for sure. Either way, looking at it from the electricians point of view, I'd question what right you have to question the bill if you happily let him commence work without agreeing a price upfront.

I've just done a rough cost on the parts and if he supplied all the parts (inc. light fittings) then it came out at getting on for £300 or even more dependant on the cost of those fittings!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back