Having my dog put down tomorrow, am I a murderer?

Perhaps you're right, I suppose I'm just fed up playing hopscotch to avoid the dog sh*t every time I walk down the street.
Apologies if any offence was caused and I trust that all of the dog lovers on here have more consideration than some of the people round where I live.

Sponsored Links
IMO part of the thing about having pets is that you project part of your own character onto the animal - imagining conversations and indeed having conversations with a creature that more often than not (although curiously not always) hasn't got a clue what you are on about. Sort of Johnny Morris animal magic type stuff.

So when a pet dies, it really does take part of you too and your chance to continue with your "free-thinking" disappears. Even at the end, you're still having that 1-way but you think is 2-way discussion and farewell.

IMO part of the thing about having pets is that you project part of your own character onto the animal - imagining conversations and indeed having conversations with a creature that more often than not (although curiously not always) hasn't got a clue what you are on about. Sort of Johnny Morris animal magic type stuff.

So when a pet dies, it really does take part of you too and your chance to continue with your "free-thinking" disappears. Even at the end, you're still having that 1-way but you think is 2-way discussion and farewell.

It's a mystery how your Cat found the time. ;) :D

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you're right, I suppose I'm just fed up playing hopscotch to avoid the dog sh*t every time I walk down the street.
Apologies if any offence was caused and I trust that all of the dog lovers on here have more consideration than some of the people round where I live.

No worries m8 and apologies for the shell suit pic. I was a bit grumpy yeterday. Alls good.

hello there, not been with this site v long and i have just stumbled on to the pets gd. i am going thru this v same thing at the moment!. tomorrow will have to have my cat put to sleep :( , she is 14 and had scan last week, it showed palpable mass in her tummy, in the last few weeks her weight has plummetted and from yesterday she hasnt eaten or drank anything at all :cry: , the vet offered chemotherapy :eek: but i couldnt even consider this. i am just trying to view it as the last kindness i can do for her, but its just so sad. for the last few nights i hav been wakin up and spending q time just sat stroking her on the stairs, she responds with her usual love and purring etc and this is what makes it so difficult. much love

hello there, not been with this site v long and i have just stumbled on to the pets gd. i am going thru this v same thing at the moment!. tomorrow will have to have my cat put to sleep :( , she is 14 and had scan last week, it showed palpable mass in her tummy, in the last few weeks her weight has plummetted and from yesterday she hasnt eaten or drank anything at all :cry: , the vet offered chemotherapy :eek: but i couldnt even consider this. i am just trying to view it as the last kindness i can do for her, but its just so sad. for the last few nights i hav been wakin up and spending q time just sat stroking her on the stairs, she responds with her usual love and purring etc and this is what makes it so difficult. much love

I really feel for you jen. Fourteen years is a long time and she is part of your family. Usually we out-live our pets. You are doing the right thing by not giving chemo, it would only prolong the inevitable. Cats always respond in their usual way right to the very end which makes it more upsetting.

Best wishes :(

A few yrs ago one of our cats developed diabetes which the vets could not control, my wife searched the internet and found (the name i cant remember) a brain tumour that can cause diabetes, in humans swelling of the hands among other things, dogs and humans can have it cut out, cats have chemo or similar, so he went off to Cambridge for a few weeks, £5000 later he slowly came off insulin as his diabetes faded away but he was never the same cat and went on for another two yrs, would we do it again? definatly not! the vets are pushing back the boundries but for their own gain i feel not having any compasion for the pet, i know its hard but there comes a time when that descision has to be made, if in doubt talk to a friend or relative, somebody you meet walking or here on diy, dont let the pet suffer through our love for it.

Sons ex girlfriend is a new vet 12 months or so...........usually see her at the pub on some Thursdays............

She used to cry when she saw people upset and had to put their pets to sleep...............but through doing her job shes become desensitized it upsets her that she doesn't get upset anymore.

My lovely, lovely vet. He guided me through my recent loss. He told me about surgery and also about the four month rehabilitation; about chemo therapy; and even my girl's life expectancy (he was way wrong on that thankfully).

With his his help I knew it was time and although I miss my baby every day, WE BOTH knew that we had done our best for her. Not all vets are in it for money!

BTW he had only just put his own dog to sleep (same breed) when mine fell ill. Honestly believe he suffered nearly as much as me.

As the days lengthen, I know I was right to let her go. She was hanging on for me, and I was holding her back for me. Just glad that reason prevailed and the focus was put back on her, before she suffered too much.

had to have my cat put down last year, he was 20....a fine old puss....but he suffered two strokes, and the vet who had looked after him since he was a kitten said i would know when the time was right....and i did..........although i almost drove away from the vet without taking him in......

miss him a lot, had him since he was 3 months old, but the time was right :cry:

Had to have my 13 year old English Bull terrier put down , was tellin him he's a good boy while the needle was going in , didn't stop wagging his tail till the end. :cry:

The time I've said, no more pets, it's too painful but I still do

had to have my cat put down last year, he was 20....a fine old puss....but he suffered two strokes, and the vet who had looked after him since he was a kitten said i would know when the time was right....and i did..........although i almost drove away from the vet without taking him in......

miss him a lot, had him since he was 3 months old, but the time was right :cry:
My experience is similar, my beloved cat suffered a stroke, took him to the vets expecting the worst, but the vet said, cats can, and often do recover from strokes, so after obtaining the medication he came home and we started giving him the tablets, it was touch and go for the first week, then he started to respond and made a valiant recovery, he walked with a slight list to starboard, with head tilted slightly to one side.
He made a magnificent recovery, only to suffer some ten weeks later another massive stroke, this I knew was the end, took him to the vet, who confirmed he was too far gone, so the decision was made, and there ended the life of the most faithful and loving cat I have ever had the privilege to own, he is still greatly missed.

Wotan

our 18 yo dog was just in the pain at the end, poor animal was crying even when putting the needle into his vein, me with my mother, both there crying holding him, he started to throw up from that liquid going to his veins:/ for me the worst was to see him in that extra pain when dying.

just got drunk with mum that evening.

Sponsored Links
Back