Having power during rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are having a rewire very soon.
The elec said that we will have power during the job as we are stopping in the house.
Is this quite common?
I originally thought that all the old installations were removed hence you would be left without power.
What do you guys do when a customer is insitu during a rewire?

Sponsored Links
One circuit at a time. ;)

If its a complete rewire, he'll probably install henley blocks and an isolator, so he can split the supply into the old fuse box, and his new consumer unit. :)

If he is doing the job properly he will probably disconnect the old installation completely and fit a small temporary supply. When he has installed and tested the new installation then change over from the temporary supply to the new.
Sometimes called a 'builders supply'

If he is doing the job properly he will probably disconnect the old installation completely and fit a small temporary supply. When he has installed and tested the new installation then change over from the temporary supply to the new.
Sometimes called a 'builders supply'

I assume the temp stuff is RCD protected...

Sponsored Links
Marco- the old installation might not cope with an RCD served CU.

Eitherway the service will be no worse that you have.

Most sparks would like to have a complete new circuit in before it's commissioned on to the new board. If the new cable routes have to follow old routes (such as along the 1st floor landing). Then the old cable is removed and the new added in, if come 4pm the new circuit isn't finished it could be joined to the old bits that haven't be replaced and re-activated as part new / part old.

This happens frequently through joist routes where you really don't need further holes added for new cables when one's already exist (this prevents joists looking like swiss cheese) with old cables in, but have no spare room for the new cable to be added.

Marco- the old installation might not cope with an RCD served CU.

Eitherway the service will be no worse that you have.

Most sparks would like to have a complete new circuit in before it's commissioned on to the new board. If the new cable routes have to follow old routes (such as along the 1st floor landing). Then the old cable is removed and the new added in, if come 4pm the new circuit isn't finished it could be joined to the old bits that haven't be replaced and re-activated as part new / part old.

This happens frequently through joist routes where you really don't need further holes added for new cables when one's already exist (this prevents joists looking like swiss cheese) with old cables in, but have no spare room for the new cable to be added.

there already is an rcd protected cu on the old system which we got in the first week we lived in the house for our protection.

i've had two electricians in and they both say a rewire is needed since there is black rubber wire in places and the some kitchen sockets were connected to a cooker wire (according to them). I've lifted the floorboards (some) and from what I have seen there is only newer grey wire (however this could be wire used for the more recent downlights the vendor installed).
When we moved in there was no water pipe gas bonding at all. Now I am a bit worried that we are told to have a rewire when there may not be a need but my wife is insisting we have one as we are new to the house and have not yet decorated. I do feel that if the existing wiring was up to standard, there would have been some pipe bonding in place.

I do have conflicting emotions about the rewire being carried out. Nothing has tripped since the CU was installed but from what I've read on these boards, it does not mean the current installation is any good.
I can afford a rewire at the moment so i have taken the plunge..

there already is an rcd protected cu on the old system which we got in the first week we lived in the house for our protection.

So did you get an EIC for this work, if so, did the inspection and testing carried out flag up any problems that indicated the need for a rewire.

So did you get an EIC for this work, if so, did the inspection and testing carried out flag up any problems that indicated the need for a rewire.

I did and the funny thing is that all the boxes are thicked with no Xs but the comments are to have a rewire done due to the age of the existing installation and the fact that stuff has been added wired at different stages over the years :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back