Headteachers Salary.

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
then there is the tube drivers dont know what there basic wage is but a 35 hour week 10 weeks paid hols and probably at least £30000 a year

The obvious answer is would you do it? Let the teachers earn their money, i would not do it. Let tube drivers get their holiday and pay perks.......fair play to them. We always think others are better off than ourselves.................... what did Kipling say about time in another mans shoes??

Nothing to do with another man's shoes.

The question is are they worth this much. I can understand you not wanting to deal with unruly yobs, but he isn't doing that. He has teachers, who, according to the report earn around a 1/4 of that, doing all the dirty work for him.

We are taliking about a school manager under a different name.

The one thing both these cases have in common is they are in the public sector, where normal supply and demand rules don't seem to apply.

Sponsored Links
if you think all public sector workers get paid well, think again. i worked as 11 years as a copper. nights, late turns, earlies. Long shifts, often away from the family, in my time i was bitten by someone with hiv, assualted badly three times, not to mention the minor cuts, bruises and scratches. Oh then theres the things that i will always carry with me in my memory, like watching someone burn to death, and picking up the pieces of a multiple car crash...i mean the human bits and pieces. Why did i do it, because i wanted to, so it went with the territory, but the pay was nothing special. Yes i know there was the pension, but see how much you have left in your paypacket after youve paid out 11% every month into, as despite what the public think it certainly isnt given for free. Nor is it for the majority of nurses, paramedics etc etc. You are right thugh as normal pay and demand never applied. The civilian workers had a union, got shift allowance, more holiday etc etc. Im glad im out of it, but please dont tar all public sector workers with the same brush.

Sorry to rant on but i do get annoyed when people run down people in other jobs, without perhaps realising exactly what is involved

As for the head teacher, well its a lot of money, but from my own experiance, my daughter went to two schools with crap heads and no discipline and it was a nightmare. We moved her to a school where the head takes no nonsense and it is like a different world in both performance and behaviour.

Thermo

Totally agree thermo. Forget supply and demand. Do not judge someone until you have walked in their shoes. The demands of being a head teacher are great..............responsibility. Only knock it when you have tried it. I would never dream of being a teacher. They deserve their pay and time off. David and Julie have moaned about a headteachers pay compared to a teacher. Well the head was there once, you have to work your way up the ladder. That is life i am afraid.

I think what david & julie are saying is how do they justify £100,000 plus to headmaster when his life is not threaten compared to being to a copper or the boys fighting in Iraq. Shouldn't the police force, army or any high risk job deserved to be on a higher salary than a headmaster ?

Having said that I just spoke to a steeplejack young lad working on our boilerstack at work which is 360' high putting scaffolding round the top of the chimney and a loads of ladders just rawlbolted all the way down to the side of the chimney. I said to him "you must be on good money for dangerous job like that ?" £145 per day was the replies ! Funny old world isn't it !

I didn't mention any other public sector employee, I only said the heads and tube drivers are both in the public sector.

I don't know enough to comment about the tube drivers but I think they will try to hold London to ransom. If they are after that salary and hours/pay/holidays for a semi skilled job it is too much, but then London is expensive.

Let's get the headmasters pay into perspective.

http://www.gmpa.gov.uk/site/whoweare/gmp_officers.htm

This pay is for the top policeman, in a big and dangerous city. If you took hours and holidays into account, it is probably less than the headmaster.

jasy also said this..Do not judge someone until you have walked in their shoes. The demands of being a head teacher are great..............responsibility. Only knock it when you have tried it. I would never dream of being a teacher. They deserve their pay and time off. David and Julie have moaned about a headteachers pay compared to a teacher.

So are you saying you are/were an headmaster?

I am not moaning about it I just think it too much, this is not an inner city problem school.

Most ordinary people are struggling with never ending tax increases without these sort of salaries being paid to an elite few.

The frightening thing is how future problems are being seeded - now !!
How will half salary pensions on incomes in excess of say £50k be funded ? Apart from through our taxes ?
P

This new head will almost certainly be worth it, and I know people earning more in the profession. For instance, my father. He is one of the country's best "Consultant head teachers", and commands considerably more than this guy, plus expenses. So bear in mind that my response will be written from a particular angle ;)

Remember that a head teacher (as in any profession) will only get these kinds of salaries if they are sh*t hot at their job. You can't just get your PGCE, do a couple of years and decide "I'm going into consultancy". Chances are this new head-teacher has brought schools back from the brink of closure, and has no doubt brought exam results way up in schools.

I think seeing as the impact of a GOOD head-teacher (such as one who can command £100K+) will affect so many lives for the better, it is worth it. For instance, my father has touched at least 6000 lives in his 35 years in teaching. He has improved many of these lives, remember a GOOD head teacher does not restrict himself to just dealing out detentions and such. It is not a job, it is a vocation.

Now, find me one of these £90K plumbers we hear so much about, who has provided 1% of the benefit to society that such head-teachers provide. :confused: If you can, you will also find 1000 more just like him who can do the job just as well. Tradesmen can command massive earnings and still be sh*t at their job. That would not happen in teaching.

Remember that 95% of head-teachers are on £30-£40K. Not really a lot when you consider that your children's future rests with them. Yes, 6 weeks holiday in summer would be nice for all of us, but they earn it. Would you want to put up with your children for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, 40 weeks per year? And make them behave properly? And teach them? Times 30 all at once? Let alone the really messed up problem kids. It's not their fault, it's the parents. But somehow that ends up being laden on the teachers too, and yes that does filter up to the heads. In secondary schools it FINISHES with the Head.

masona said:
I think what david & julie are saying is how do they justify £100,000 plus to headmaster when his life is not threaten compared to being to a copper or the boys fighting in Iraq. Shouldn't the police force, army or any high risk job deserved to be on a higher salary than a headmaster ?

When I was 10, I went in to work with my father. Whilst he was out of the office doing headmasterly things, I had a look in his drawers and found 3 air pistols, several daggers, knuckledusters and a couple of flick knives. That was back in 1990. I dare not think what he confiscates in 2004. Murdering a policeman seems to earn a much stiffer sentence than murdering a head-teacher... and policemen are allowed to be armed when they do their job. My father has had death threats, including a couple where a pupil had murdered another pupil (it only makes the news when it is a white middle-class school, and it happens on school property), and was "on the run", and during this time had made threats against him.

I know that few people have a proper perspective into teaching. Even fewer into head-teaching. But as one with the gift of this view, I say don't slate the teaching profession, they do a much more important job than any of us.

AdamW said:
found 3 air pistols, several daggers, knuckledusters and a couple of flick knives.

And no these weren't for getting homework out of naughty kids, nor an alternative to the cane :LOL:

If logic were logic then the most senior policemen, especially from Chief Inspector up, should be on lower pay than the officers on the front line.
The Army? well most senior staff have always led from the back.

planet nut, most senoir policeman should be on lower pay than those on the front line?Bloody right, most are only intrseted in advancing careers, have no idea whats going on and do not deserve the wages. (sorry but i couldnt resist that little attack!!!) I feel better now!

planenut said:
If logic were logic then the most senior policemen, especially from Chief Inspector up, should be on lower pay than the officers on the front line.
The Army? well most senior staff have always led from the back.

That would crack me up! Chief Constable Bloggs goes into work one morning and is told "Due to Planenut's appointment as Chief Officer Of Logic (COOL Planenut), beat bobbies will now be earning £60K per year. Chief Constables will have their pay cut to £20K to reflect the level of risk and amount of work they do" :LOL:

Although seriously, my experience in industry is that there are very senior people where you wonder "How on earth did they get promoted that far?!", then when you work with them you begin to realise that they do a lot of stuff that you hadn't thought of before. You do get some f**kwits who really can't tell their a**e from their elbow, of course! And we need Chief Constables, and people are usually loathe to take a job unless it offers a greater salary than their current one. You get increased pay with increased responsibility, who gets it in the neck when a policeman is accused of racial violence? The chief constable. Until the accused is proven innocent or guilty, the CC is the face we see on the news.

Sponsored Links
Back