Heat Detector in the Roof Void

DIYWell";p="1432337 said:
Now to go back on topic, my question wasn't about the type of detector but are the views about detectors in roof voids.

If your question is simply "should I or should I not install some form of fire detector in my loft?" then obvious the answer would be yes, it's a sensible idea. The more detectors the better, as long as they aren't prone to nuisance alarms.

We have some detectors at work that rely on thermal imaging to detect the heat signature of a flame, I expect they would work rather nicely in a loft! Mind you, I think they cost a few thousand pounds a piece.

Sponsored Links
I think all the posters, with one exception, have agreed with you that it is a good idea

jj4091 you're a havin a larf, you and the op are the only ones that think its a good idea.

Me, RF lighting and electronicsuk have said he should be using smoke detectors.

Are you an unemployed Afghan election counter?
What's that about sarcasm & wit? :)

Right, I made a couple of calls.

Quick chat with the technical folk at BRK. Use fixed temp detectors in kitchens and garages since you can legitimately expect some smoke in those environment from time to time. Use photoelectric smoke detectors in hallways and living areas since they are comparatively less sensitive. Use a ionisation smoke detector at the top of stairs since this is an area where you want maximum sensitivity to smoke. Don't use ionisation detectors in bedrooms because aerosol hairsprays can set them off.

As for roof voids, in vented voids photoelectric and ionisation detectors will be triggered by dust so use a fixed temp detector, in enclosed voids or those with controlled ventilation use photoelectric.

Then I called my local BC. There are no rule to use smoke or heat detectors specifically. If fitting, seek manufacturer's advice to select the appropriate detector for the environment or alarm system if installed.

Spoke to BRK again this week and their advice was:
- Fixed temp heat detectors in kitchen/garages since there are environments where smoke-like atmospheres can legitimately exist.
- Downstairs fit photoelectric smoke detectors since less sensitive and there may be particulates in the air e.g. cooking. Don't fit in bedrooms since aerosols can trigger them.
- Upstairs fit ionisation smoke detectors since they are more sensitive.
- Uninhabited rood space use fixed temp heat detectors if the void is vented otherwise expect false alarms due to dust blowing and/or settling. In voids with little, no or controlled ventilation, use photoelectric smoke detectors.

Also called local BC who confirmed that there is nothing in the regs for roof voids in houses, that "smoke detector" is the generic term, and contact detector manufacturer for guidance as products vary.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back