HEAT DETECTOR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would you place a heat detector directly above a cooker,only would this not cause it to constantly go off,would like advice on were best to put it,would best be towards a door thanks.

Sponsored Links
The major manufacturers like Kidde, Aico etc publish guides on what sort of detectors are best for which locations, mounting positions etc.

You'll probably find that you need 2 or 3 types, interlinked.

I have seen heat detectors fitted in domestic kitchens where a smoke head would cause false alarms, I don't see why they are unsuitable - better than nothing.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys wondered why they are being instaled in council house near me ,and why they are being put directly above cookers

heat detectors are suitable for domestic, but only in the kitchen etc and not as the sole method of detection..
ie it's better to have a heat detector in the kitchen rather than a smoke since burning the toast will constantly set it off, and it's much better than not having one at all...

Heat detectors are not suitable for domestic premises.

You are spending too much time with your monkey. BS 5839: Pt.6: 2004 recommends that heat alarms should be used in kitchens.

I have a kitchen in my domestic premise. It has a heat alarm in it interlinked to the smoke alarms.

Heat alarms are generally set to go off if the temperature exceeds 54ºC. It is a heat alarm, not a fire alarm.

If we look at AICO's Tech Guide. (Aico make smoke alarms). It states:

Up to 3 storey - owner occupied or rented
Grade D, Category LD2
Smoke alarms should be installed in
circulation spaces, heat alarms in kitchen
and principal living room (smoke alarms are
an acceptable alternative in the living
room).

That sure sounds like domestic premises to me..

It's always good for a laugh when contractors start quoting british standards. As soon as they find what they think is their get out clause they're happy, and they stop reading.

I admit I was surprised that BS5839-6 now allows heat detectors in domestic premises, but as I thought, NOT AS A REPLACEMENT FOR SMOKE DETECTORS.

This quote is from BS5839-6

"Heat detectors rarely produce false alarms. They are, however, much less sensitive than smoke detectors. The
need to avoid false alarms should never take priority over an established need for early detection of fire. If
heat detectors are installed within rooms, it must be accepted that a warning will be given only when a
significant fire exists (typically with, as a rule of thumb, flame height equivalent to around one-third of the
ceiling height within the room). Nevertheless, if the door of the room is closed (as is good practice during the
night if the door opens onto a circulation space), earlier warning might be given by a heat detector in the
room than by a smoke detector in the adjacent circulation space."

So if you think domestic heat detectors are a good idea you also should come up with some way of ensuring all doors are closed. :) :) You'll also make a fortune because at the moment there is no practical method of ensuring that a householder has closed all the doors and that they remain closed.

I'll stick to smoke detectors thanks.

So you would put a smoke detector in a kitchen then and have it go off every time you use the toaster or fry some bacon?
If the room is unattended and the door is closed the heat alarm will work, if the door is open the smoke detector in the hallway will operate. They complement each other the heat alarm does not replace the smoke alarm, same applies to garages where you may not want a smoke alarm, all alarms should be interlinked.

For positioning in regard to cooking appliances check with the manufacturer but i wouldn't have thought directly above a cooker would be a good idea.

do you realistically think that the temperature at ceiling height above a cooker will reach high enough to set the detector off?

hell the ectract fan doesn't get all that hot.. and that's a lot closer..

your most likely source of fire will be the cooker so it makes sense to put the detector close to it ( if not actually directly over it ) so that any fires there will be detected faster rather than waiting until the general heat in the room rises enough to set it off ( at which point the cabinets will likely be well ablaze.. )

You're right - normal cooking will never get the air temperature at the ceiling up to 55-odd degrees to nuissance trip a heat alarm even directly above the cooker. Well, unless you really like to flambé a lot. A nice waft of hot air when you open your oven maybe could though? That's certainly the only reason I can see for not having a detector directly above the cooker, but you'd still want it close.

So Holmslaw - you'd rather have nothing in your kitchen than a heat detector? Well, suit yourself. For everyone else, a heat detector close to the cooker will detect a chip pan fire in an unattended kitchen a hell of a lot quicker than the smoke detector down the hall. Especially if the kitchen door is closed. It is widely reccommended nowadays that one is fitted to a domestic kitchen interlinked to smoke alarms. Nobody suggested they should replace smoke detectors, did they?

Mebbe him drink jungle juice longtime again?

I do flambée sometimes, although rumour has it that that practice is to be banned when the smart new cooker and hood are installed, on some feeble basis that the instructions for the hood say no flambéeing. :evil:

We'll see.

I did do a really spectacular flambée with the barbie once - I had a load of rosemary where I'd cut back a rampant bush a few weeks earlier, and thought "that'll be nice to smoke the food with when it's nearly done". Unfortunately due to some unexplained circumstances (privately I think it may have had something to do with jungle juice) I omitted to soak the tinder-dry, resin-filled twigs in water before tossing a large bunch onto the coals. :eek:

Gotta try Heston Blue Mental's inflammable foam trick though.

that'll probably be because of some sort of paper filter in the hood?

what burning foam trick?

( and why does inflammable mean the same as flammable when everything else that gets prefaced with "in" turns it into the opposite? )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back