Height of rear extension

council came for a site visit and based the ground level measurement using the fence line and old photos.

from their measurement, they are saying the ground level is quite steep. which in fact it was not as we could put table and chairs there.

a photo of the boundary line was submitted at time of application. therefore i think they should have stipulated the condition of ground level in the application

enforcement notice not up yet. will keep you posted.

Sponsored Links
Did they do a site visit when you made the application? What does the planning officers report say about this if anything?

apparently did a site visit but we never gave them access to the property. he said he viewed it from neighbours. Nothing in his report regarding the downward slope.

still waiting on enforcement.

this is what stated in the officer report. In which he refers to the GPD 2008 which is where we got the definition of ground level. He then says that doesnt apply as its not PD.

Analysis - single storey rear extension
Impact on Surrounding Area
As noted in the previous application, due to its de
sign and siting at the rear of the property
and obscured from the street by the proposed two st
orey side extension, the proposed rear
extension would not detract from the character and
visual amenity of the property, it is
considered that the proposed extension will have a
no impact on the surrounding area having
CASE OFFICER RECOMMENDATION SHEET

regard to Policy (II) GD3 of the Unitary Development Plan, and Core Policy 30 of the Core
Strategy.
Impact on neighbouring properties
As noted in the previous application, the single storey rear extension would be built adjacent
to the shared boundary with No.xx and would have a
depth of 3.0m with a maximum height
of 4.0m, falling to 3.0m at eaves. There is. It is
noted that a 45º line from the middle of the
nearest ground floor window of No.xx would intersect the applicant’s proposed extension,
however, the depth of the applicant’s proposed extension would be 3.0m which when taken
alongside the proposed maximum height of 4.0m and eaves height of 3.0m, and having regard
to the standards in the General Permitted Development Order 2008 and Unitary Development
Plan Policy (II) H12, is considered acceptable.
Privacy
As noted in the previous application, the proposed
rear extension has no flank windows
thereby protecting the privacy of the neighbouring
properties. The proposed rear facing
windows would not give rise to issues of overlooking in excess of that experienced currently.
As result the proposed rear extension is considered
acceptable having regard to Policy (II) H8
of the Unitary Development Plan.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't that suggest your 3.4m is well under the Max they considered as OK which was 4m ?

no they have an issue with the height to the eaves.

Star; have you tried scaling the measurement of the eaves-height off the drawing? The two steps shown suggest it could be higher than if the ground were level. If it scales at around 3.45m. and assuming the architect has NOT indicated any actual measurement for this, that would help your case a lot.
Get a scale out and check that eaves height.

hi, can anyone recommend someone who can help with enforcement appeal that does not cost a huge amount.

tony1851 - sorry could you explain in a bit more detail. we are new to this but i think we have done what you have said but i just want to make sure.

star; has the srchitect drawn a section through the single-storey part showing details?

there is only the back view and the floor plan of the new ground level. is that what you are asking for.

also i just measured the architect scale. 1cm on the ruler is 9mm on their scale. grrrr...

i will also post on what we have actually built first image

[/img]

Your height to the eaves seems to be just under 3.1m. Where do they get 3.45m from?

i think using neighbours ground level (which was lower than ours in the first place) or from our foundation bricks perhaps. just doesn't make sense to me really.

If the enforcement officer measured height from the neighbour's side (which you say is lower than yours) then this should have been seen when the officer originally dealing with the application came round on the customary site visit.
Your drawings won't show the height in relation to the neighbour's ground, only your ground. If the height to the eaves as measured off the submitted drawing is more-or-less as built, then it's a bit late in the day for Planning to suddenly realize that it will be higher when seen from next doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back