Help guys, need a good electric heater solution for a office

in a space that size, passive convection heaters just aren't going to cut it..

you either need some sort of radiant heat, or some sort of forced air to circulate it..

Sponsored Links
Lol i think i may have forgotten to mention that junkies walk around outside, so anything that looks pinchable, theyll take
Hmm, I cant really see them walking down to the dealers with 100kg of air con on their shoulder. :rolleyes:

Lol i think i may have forgotten to mention that junkies walk around outside, so anything that looks pinchable, theyll take
Hmm, I cant really see them walking down to the dealers with 100kg of air con on their shoulder. :rolleyes:

Lol if people can nick 2 colour lithograph presses weighing equivalent to a car, I think air con is childs play for them. And only god know what they planned on doing with a printing press lol

Nevertheless, electronics uk, you pretty much got it bang on at the end of your post. Since everything has been done, Iwas hoping to not have to get any installation work done. A very critical mistake on my part ive come to realise but that was down to all the wonders people were talking about electric heaters.

Now lets say we do go down the route of installing some air con units. Is it possible to have something that looks nice and that is wall mounted rather than ceiling mounted as there is no space on the ceilings whatsoever.

Now lets say we do go down the route of installing some air con units. Is it possible to have something that looks nice and that is wall mounted rather than ceiling mounted as there is no space on the ceilings whatsoever.

For wall mount units, these are probably some of the nicest looking you'll find.

Sponsored Links
Mathew, sorry my bad. You had mentioned these in your last message, after having a look, they do seem very very smart indeed. Two questions though, how good are they lol. I mean I have a 15x5 room (hall) which even i must have to finally confess is extremely cold. Would a single unit do the trick or would i need 2 or more?

Furthermore, I have realised that if these are fixed to one particular side i.e. the side next the the road, I have a decent cut in on the building which used to be an external flight of stairs. The big fan/extractor units whatever they are called can be attached there.

Following on from this, is it normally one extractor unit per air con unit indoors i.e. if i was to have four air con units i.e. 2 downstairs and 2 upstairs would i have 4 extractors.

How much do these cost on average per unit system?

Finally, is there a lot of wiring reqired or do they just need a main feed going to a spur with the rest of the wire work being done outside with the extractors.

Sorry for the long winded lame question but i am in need lol

Thanks

Mathew, sorry my bad. You had mentioned these in your last message, after having a look, they do seem very very smart indeed. Two questions though, how good are they lol. I mean I have a 15x5 room (hall) which even i must have to finally confess is extremely cold. Would a single unit do the trick or would i need 2 or more?

That's hard to say, as I'm not an A/C engineer by trade (although I have DIY'd a couple of units at a previous house). Calculators such as this one are one simple way of calculating the necessary heating/cooling capacity for a given space, but you do need to know a little about the building's construction.

In any case, you'll need an engineer to fit and gas the unit, so he/she will be able to tell you how many and what capacity units you should fit.

Furthermore, I have realised that if these are fixed to one particular side i.e. the side next the the road, I have a decent cut in on the building which used to be an external flight of stairs. The big fan/extractor units whatever they are called can be attached there.

Sounds sensible.

Following on from this, is it normally one extractor unit per air con unit indoors i.e. if i was to have four air con units i.e. 2 downstairs and 2 upstairs would i have 4 extractors.

No, LG will manufacture multisplit condensers (the outdoor unit), these usually allow connection of up to four indoor units. You would have to specifically state to the engineer that this is what you want, otherwise it could go either way, as depending on the building layout it may be less hassle (pipework and cabling wise) to install four independent condensers.

Anything more than this and you may be looking at a VRF system, which uses a much larger condenser and varies the refrigerant to each indoor unit as necessary.

How much do these cost on average per unit system?

How long is a piece of string? Depends on the difficulty of the installation, only an A/C engineer will be able to tell you that. In terms of material costs, I expect the indoor units start at £500, and multisplit condensers £1000 upwards.

Finally, is there a lot of wiring reqired or do they just need a main feed going to a spur with the rest of the wire work being done outside with the extractors.

Usually, power is fed to the outdoor unit, and then a multicore cable links to the indoor unit to provide power and control signals. If you can mount the indoor units on external walls the interior wiring should be at an absolute minimum.

disimulo.gif

Indeed for a decent CoP (and lack of indoor noise) you need split units.

A single outdoor unit can only provide so much power, and the feasibility of using a single unit to power 4 indoors units depends on whether you have 3phase, so you can use a larger condensor outside. It is possible though. In our shop we have a "compressor pack" which contains 3 HUGE compressors, and enough condensor area for the whole shop's needs. It powers 5 air conditioners, and about 30 metres of open front fridges, as well as a coldroom. Pretty impressive, especially when you consider 2 compressors are redundant, it normally runs on just one!

So it is possible to reduce costs by running just one outdoor unit, less pipework and electrical supply. But then if it breaks down, you've lost the whole lot.

They do kick out a lot of heat - for every KW they consume, you're looking at 4kw of heat, or 5kw of cooling (i think thats the right way around?)

The supply generally goes to the outdoor unit first, then a fused spur to the indoor unit/s

Coefficient of Performance - the ratio between the amount of energy (heat) delivered or removed from the conditioned space and the amount consumed in the process.

2.62 is very unimpressive.

I think you'll find that the "other 2" compressors aren't redundant, it's a staged unit..

it kicks in the other 1 or 2 depending on load..

on warm days it will be using 2 or 3 of them..

it should also cycle through them to keep wear and tear even'd out out between them..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back