Help guys, need a good electric heater solution for a office

I think you'll find that the "other 2" compressors aren't redundant, it's a staged unit..

it kicks in the other 1 or 2 depending on load..

on warm days it will be using 2 or 3 of them..

it should also cycle through them to keep wear and tear even'd out out between them..
Oh I know that, I was talking extremes. I'm guessing the unit also has "priority" areas to cool, in the event that the fridge pack cannot maintain the pressure required. For example, it could stop flow to the air cons, in order that all the dairy units are adequately cooled. The system is controlled by a computer which stages all the defrosts, it knows exactly what units are calling for refrigerant, it knows how many compressors are running, the temperature and pressures at the fridge pack, everything. If anything goes wrong with the system, it alarms out. Anything as small as a valve not opening, it knows.

Its buggered if theres a leak though :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Hey guys some great tips there.

Basically the walls i have are actually dry line so my first concern really should be, how to fix to cavity walls that have a few inch gaps behind them up until the outside wall. If this is not a problem i.e. a solution to fixing to these walls, than Im good to go as I was hoping to drill straight out on each of the air con positions and have them wired to the condenser(s) from these points onwards.

Likewise would you guys actually recommend the splitter unit to power all 4 or possibly even three units as i may not need the 4th ive realised

Basically the walls i have are actually dry line so my first concern really should be, how to fix to cavity walls that have a few inch gaps behind them up until the outside wall. If this is not a problem i.e. a solution to fixing to these walls, than Im good to go as I was hoping to drill straight out on each of the air con positions and have them wired to the condenser(s) from these points onwards.

Dry line walls still need studs behind them to support the wall covering, so you need to find these studs and fix directly into them. Don't try and fix the A/C unit directly to the plasterboard with plugs - it might hold initially, but over time the vibration is bound to work it loose.

Likewise would you guys actually recommend the splitter unit to power all 4 or possibly even three units as i may not need the 4th ive realised

If the wiring and pipework runs aren't a problem back to a central multisplit outdoor unit then it's certainly the way to go. Most modern ones have variable speed compressors, therefore will be pretty efficient regardless of how many of the indoor units are in use, and certainly more efficient than single units at full load.

dry line or dot 'n' dab?

I'd recomend getting any cavities behing the plasterboard filled with foam.. add more thermal resistance to the place..

Sponsored Links
No proper drylined with verticle metal studs. Upstairs however there is dot''n'dab so a little easier to work with.

A question though guys, speaking to a few electricians locally and by no means anything special just normal leccys, I have been told that I "may" need 3 phase. Not really familiar with what this is other than they use it in industrial buildings. Is this true in order to fit the air con units id need 3 phase.

Furthermore someone mentioned a ducting system saying that you have one unit that does everything and you have ducts running to several points in the building. Are these systems any goods as I may have a way of fishing the ducts around into appropriate locations

A question though guys, speaking to a few electricians locally and by no means anything special just normal leccys, I have been told that I "may" need 3 phase. Not really familiar with what this is other than they use it in industrial buildings. Is this true in order to fit the air con units id need 3 phase.

Sometimes the outdoor condenser unit will require a 3-phase supply, but this is generally only true for large units designed with the capacity to heat/cool very large areas.

As I keep saying, you really do need to involve a local A/C engineer before you start contacting electricians or any other trade, otherwise you have no idea of what type and supply size will be required, never mind anything else.

In any case, I can assure you that given the size of the premises you have described, there will certainly be single phase units available large enough for the job. It's possible you might have a 3-phase supply anyway - if you can post a picture of the service head where the supply enters the building then we'll be able to tell you.

Furthermore someone mentioned a ducting system saying that you have one unit that does everything and you have ducts running to several points in the building. Are these systems any goods as I may have a way of fishing the ducts around into appropriate locations

The ducts for these systems are large. A high static pressure unit will require ducting somewhere between 80-100mm in diameter (although AFAIK this sort of system is mainly found retrofitted in domestic installs), anything else may require 300mm upwards. Not really something that can be fished around very easily, and you'll also need a large ceiling void in which to conceal a ducted indoor unit.

However, if access is good and you do have suitable space in the ceiling, a ducted system would certainly be less obtrusive than wall mount units, but will be significantly more difficult to install. Given that your original brief was for a system that would require minimal interior work, I'd say that rules out ducted.

How dare he ,how very dare he, was he here BEORE you John, how very dare he.

DS :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back