Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had a nightmare project, a extension on my house. The roofer which I hired i had lost a little faith and was working alongside side him to keep an eye out. My concern is the method he chose to butt up against my house with Conrod plain tile, he used a dry soaker, but there are gaps between the soaker and tiles, there is nothing underneaththe tiles, apart from the roofing membrane. I'm just afraid there could be damp in future. So far its been 2 years, can't see any mould or leaks internally but I'm just concerned something might happen.
Also we installed 3 velux windows and the tiles are not flat on the roof, he kept complaining why it was not sitting flat when installing.
Just wanted some professional opinions especially on the tiles that are not sitting flat and the dry soakers used.
20200504_193150.jpg
20200504_193102.jpg
20200504_193032.jpg
20200504_192713.jpg
20200504_192700.jpg
20200504_192329.jpg
20200504_192355.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nightmare tile to try to get to sit nicely, especially when you consider that the flashings are trying to lift the tiles 5mm - 10mm above their normal seating position. It's their sheer width verses their unforgiving flatness.

That said, an experienced roofer can mitigate the amount that the tiles kick up when sitting on the flashings by being more diligent when dressing the lead and by using an angle grinder and common sense regards the seating of the tiles.

The Velux head lashing is clearly not seated in one of the images and a few broken tile gutters. Nightmare tile.

The abutment soakers look like they were designed for a thicker tile, though they are a one size fits all universal product mebbe? I wouldn't be overly bothered as long as its doing its job.

You will often get a slight kick.
The tiles in places are riding over the side flashing upstand .
Tile nibs have been left in place where they ride over the flashing .
A bit of sensible chipping and they would sit better.
Now , that aside, what about all the broken tile channels?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back