Help needed albeit not "ban all sheds "

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help needed. I replaced my old timber garage with new and cut off the consumer unit to put back on after it was replaced. I just wanted to replace it to what was there before. A light and socket.

As stupid as it sounds I look at it now and think which one was the power supply, socket and light. I have an idea but better to confirm before putting back.

Sponsored Links
Simplest way is follow the wires.
Otherwise you'll need a multimeter and to do some testing.

Focus on identifying the power supply. You could then disconnect the 5A one and carefully test the sockets with a low load (phone charger) to see if they are working, if they are then all is good, if they aren't then just swap them over.

With the main switch off, and the lives and neutrals in the appropriate terminals, power it up.
If the light works you have got the two 2.5mm2 cables crossed

Sponsored Links
I should of explained the wires sticking out are cut about a metre below. I was going to replace the cable like for like. Single light and single socket are replaced now.

I should of explained the wires sticking out are cut about a metre below. I was going to replace the cable like for like. Single light and single socket are replaced now.
Personally I'd replace the lot.

You absolutely MUST have an RCD protecting that socket.
There is not one on that fuseboard, is there one on the power feed from the house to the garage? Or does the socket itself incorporate an RCD??

What happened to old traditional method of testing with a voltage indicator, and then doing continuity tests, once you have determined the distribution cable?

Help needed.
Indeed.

That, given a 5A fuse and a 15A one, you are unsure which would be for sockets and which for lights does show that you really ought to learn about things before you try fiddling with them.

There's a thick red wire and a thin red one. Not sure where the problem lies. Thick = power = 15A.

...you really ought to learn about things before you try fiddling with them.
  • http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=electrical+circuits+101[/QUOTE]
    He certainly ought to know an awful lot by the time he's worked his way through that lot ... that Google search appears to result in ('about') 2,460,000 hits :)

Maybe some slightly more specific (and slightly more restricted) guidance as regards reading/learning would be a little more helpful for him?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back