Help to insulate damp solid wall behind cupboards in converted stable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Any help here would be appreciated.

I have recently bought a converted stable, in my living room I have cupboards and a seat against a solid wall (see below). I want to insulate the wall behind the cupboard.

PXL_20230424_100226437 - Copy.jpg

The wall behind the cupboards is very damp and makes keeping the living room warm challenging. Looking at the outside wall (see below) I believe the root cause is condensation from inside and the wood seat up against the wall.

PXL_20230424_105733722 - Copy.jpg

I cut away a panel inside the cupboard. The cupboards are built off the wall with only the seat supports having wood fixed to the wall. I have about 150mm from the cupboard to the wall, I cannot take all the cupboards out but am happy to cut away the back of the cupboards panels for access.

PXL_20221207_114313531 - Copy.jpg

I was looking for recommendations on how to insulate the wall. Space is obviously tight and I want to make sure I don't make things worse.

Two options have come to mind, in addition I think I need to remove the outside wooden seat also:

Option 1 - membrane and aerogel

- Lining with a membrane like the below

- using Spacetherm aerogel wall liner or a aerogel blanket and fixing it to the membrane.

- would I even need the membrane with the blanket? I think for longevity a membrane would be best?

Option 2 - insulating lime render

- Using an insulating render, I think this would really hard to apply though.
https://www.womersleys.co.uk/shop/renders_and_plasters/womersleys-insulating-lime-render-plaster

Has anyone else had a similar challenge? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If it was really a stable, the walls would probably be impregnated with hygroscopic salts from animal urine. But your pics do not appear to show a stable. Horses are seldom provided with bay windows. Stand back and take some wider pics of the whole building. Include the clock.

You appear to have damp at ground level, inside and out, where the stable blocks (blue pavers) meet the wall, Is this from rainwater not running away? Include the gutters, downpipes and gullies in your pic. Stables usually have lots of drainage for washing down the yard.

Do not allow anyone who sells silicone injections near your home.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the responses.

The house was converted a long while ago (and extended on the right)

Here is a picture of the front of the house. (from a nicer day)

PXL_20221031_095031534 - Copy.jpg

and here is looking down from the window - drain is on the right hand side.

PXL_20230424_155200956 - Copy.jpg

Why does the window look like a bay from inside but flat from outside?

Are you on the ground floor?

I can't see the drain you mention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back