Hive 2 multi zone installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

I'm looking to install a hive or two; my house is a new build and has been fitted with a danfoss tp9000 controller and thermostat downstairs that controls the heating and hot water and a tp5000 upstairs that controls the heating in the bedrooms and bathrooms.

The downstairs controller looks simple enough to fit, it looks like a simple swap the backplate over and refit. The upstairs however is baffling me. The controller only has 2 wires going to it: black to N/O and brown to COM. As the hive seems to require a few more wires, what is my current setup missing or more importantly what am I missing?

I've uploaded a photo of the upstairs controller, hope it helps explain.

Thanks for any suggestion and help.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 3,854
Sponsored Links
Your programmable stat is fitted with a remote sensor which means the internal sensor is disabled, all the heating in your house is controlled by the upstairs stat, do you know how many/ what type of zone valves you have ? the tp9000 is a 2 channel (heating and hot water) so if you want more zones you will need more zone valves.

Last edited:
The downstairs controller only controls the downstairs heating and has a wired thermostat which is in the living room. There is no other remote or wired thermostat in the house.
When we moved in we were told that the upstairs bedroom temperature controlled the other bedrooms and bathrooms.
As for pumps, I haven't got a clue :(

if you look in the cupboard where the hot water cylinder is you should find zone valves (google for a picture) attached to the pipes, how many do you have or post some pics .

Sponsored Links
There are 3 of them, I'm guessing one for each of the zones plus the hot water?

So the upstairs controller is in fact the thermostat for the bedrooms? Thinking about this now, could I just fit the hive receiver next to the tank and put the thermostat in place of the one in the bedroom?

Yes that's right, as long as you have the zone valves you can connect a couple of hive stats to control them.

Hi, I have the exact same system in my house with Danfoss TP9000 downstairs (which I repaced with Hive and works perfectly) and TP5000 upstairs which I have yet to install. I am struggling to connect the multi zone receiver next to the Tank. Do I open up the zone motorised valve that turns the heating on upstairs and do it from there? Or is there another way? Thanks for any help

upload_2016-12-15_22-19-50.png

On these i replace the programmer with the dual channel and then wire the single channel into the demand to the zone valve in the airing cupboard.

The upstairs was actually quite easy once I figured out all the wiring. I installed the hive receiver next to the hot water tank and traced which wired went to the thermostat upstairs. This wire is actually connected to the control valve to switch it on and off so I figured this should be connected to the HO in the hive. The TP5000 is actually battery powered so this is the only cable that was supplied to it.
It was then as simple as connecting the hives heating on to the switch return and then hooking up the perm live and neutral. One thing I had to do though was bridge a wire from live to COM.

Does that make sense?

Guess so, I link stat out in wiring centre and use hive receiver to make / break brown wire to zone valve. Straight swap dual channel receiver to the programmer on the same back plate.

Thanks guys very useful.

@asenior, if you could possibly take some pictures of your set up I would be super grateful. It seems to be very similar to mine and I just want to make sure I do it right. :)

I have a new build with Redrow.

On these i replace the programmer with the dual channel and then wire the single channel into the demand to the zone valve in the airing cupboard.

Good morning I wonder if you would be kind enough to look at my set up in the attached picture and guide me as to how to wire up my 2 receivers to replace my current danfoss multi zone set up.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 1,799
Good morning I wonder if you would be kind enough to look at my set up in the attached picture and guide me as to how to wire up my 2 receivers to replace my current danfoss multi zone set up.

Thanks.

Hi, I'd be wiring your twin channel receiver to your programmer backplate and your single channel there at the wiring centre using permanent LNE and then replace stat common and call with your hive.

Hi, I'd be wiring your twin channel receiver to your programmer backplate and your single channel there at the wiring centre using permanent LNE and then replace stat common and call with your hive.
Hi Buddy, Many thanks for the quick reply.
Please excuse me as I'm fairly new at this.
The problem I have is that BOTH my Danfoss Thermostats (upstairs and downstairs) are TP5000 so I can't wire the twin channel to the programmer backplate.....

I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at the picture attached and perhaps be good enough to tell me which wire from the Hive receivers goes into which terminal in the wiring centre.

I would really really appreciate your help on this.

Kind Regards,

Can you please confirm that the following wiring should do it?

From Receivers: Brown (L) to Red (7 - Live) in Wiring Centre Box

From Receivers: Blue (N) to Blue (3 - Neutral) in Wiring Centre Box

From Receivers: Black to Brown (5&6 - Zone Valves) in Wiring Centre Box

If this is correct, what the heck are the grey wires from the Wiring Centre Box for???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back