Hive 2 multi zone installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
what programmer have you got?, if its twin channel you'll want to replace this with you hive dual

Sponsored Links
what programmer have you got?, if its twin channel you'll want to replace this with you hive dual

It's same as upstairs. Single channel as I have combi boiler.
But my hive kit has a dual channel receiver and a single channel receiver.
I was thinking of wiring the downstairs zone valve to the dual channel hive receiver
And the upstairs zone valve to the single channel receiver.
What did you think to my wiring idea in the previous thread?
Would that work? Please look at the picture of my wiring centre that I attached earlier in the conversation and let me know your thoughts on the wiring idea I have asked about.
Would appreciate your help on this.

The picture has disapeared but you have the wrong kit, you need 2 x single channel receivers. Even though you could bodge the wiring for the dual channel I think the hive servers would recognise it as faulty.

The picture has disapeared but you have the wrong kit, you need 2 x single channel receivers. Even though you could bodge the wiring for the dual channel I think the hive servers would recognise it as faulty.

Ok, I do have a spare single receiver, so if I use that is the wiring correct as I described...

Sponsored Links
With no standalone programmer I'd link the stats out put the Browns in wiring centre in 8&9 with hive calling, hive common into 5&6. Perm. Lives to grey.

With no standalone programmer I'd link the stats out put the Browns in wiring centre in 8&9 with hive calling, hive common into 5&6. Perm. Lives to grey.

Thanks for the info my friend....really appreciated.
I have taken the liberty of drawing up a diagram based on your input. Would you be kind enough to take a look at it and see if it's correct or whether I may have missed something.
I just think that it will go a long way towards helping others out if they have a similar install.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Hive Wiring.png
    Hive Wiring.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 4,249
You have some strange wire colours for your motorised valves, they are usually.

Brown wire = Switched live from controlling thermostat
Blue wire = Neutral
Grey wire = Permanent live to switching contact
Orange wire = Switched live to boiler

If the red wires shown going to terminal 7 at the wiring centre are actually orange, and terminal 7 is wired to the boiler switched live then you are OK.

Also wiring centre terminals 3 and 4 will need a Neutral and Live supply, although I assume it is probably there and you have omitted it for clarity.

At the Hive Single, you will also need to fit a link between the Live (L) and the Common (1).

I'm not sure you diagram will help others, the use of a two channel Hive when there is no stored hot water system will be more likely to confuse them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info my friend....really appreciated.
I have taken the liberty of drawing up a diagram based on your input. Would you be kind enough to take a look at it and see if it's correct or whether I may have missed something.
I just think that it will go a long way towards helping others out if they have a similar install.

Thanks again.
It's not what I was thinking!. Ditch your dual channel you need 2 x single channels. All your doing is linking out the stats in the wall by connecting com & call and then in the wiring centre using the brown wire through the hive receiver as a switch.

You have some strange wire colours for your motorised valves, they are usually.

Brown wire = Switched live from controlling thermostat
Blue wire = Neutral
Grey wire = Permanent live to switching contact
Orange wire = Switched live to boiler

If the red wires shown going to terminal 7 at the wiring centre are actually orange, and terminal 7 is wired to the boiler switched live then you are OK.

Also wiring centre terminals 3 and 4 will need a Neutral and Live supply, although I assume it is probably there and you have omitted it for clarity.

At the Hive Single, you will also need to fit a link between the Live (L) and the Common (1).

I'm not sure you diagram will help others, the use of a two channel Hive when there is no stored hot water system will be more likely to confuse them.

Thanks for your help.....
I have attached a diagram that is currently set up on the 2 x Danfoss TP5000 thermostats
And a diagram that shows how I intend to wire the dual channel to zone 1 and the single channel to zone 2.
Would appreciate it if you would take a look and see if it looks ok to you?

Attachments

• Danfoss Wiring.png
    Danfoss Wiring.png
    21 KB · Views: 9,284
  • Hive Wiring.png
    Hive Wiring.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 12,030
Looks OK to me.
Thanks.
So I'm presuming that the wiring from the Hive Dual Channel to Zone 1 will work the Combi Boiler and no wiring needs to be done to control the water function as this is controlled by the combi boiler itself.
Is this correct?
I understand from the previous poster that I should change it to single channel, but I figured that I already have the dual and if it works, why change it?
Does that make sense?
Thanks for all your help and advice..

If I were modifying your system I would have used two single zone Hives, but as far as the hot water is concerned, you are not changing anything related to it, so it will work exactly as it does now.

I imagine that the Hive will work OK without anything connected to its water control circuit. Others have done the same thing and not reported back that they had any problems. Like the example here.

It'll work ok but hive will keep sending you messages that your hot water is offline / faulty.

It'll work ok but hive will keep sending you messages that your hot water is offline / faulty.
I know a friend has got the same dual channel receiver wired to his Vaillant Combi and has not reported this issue since he had it fitted over 3 months ago.
In fact he said he has just switched off the water function and runs it purely as a heating receiver.
Anyway, I will fit it soon and report my feedback on here....
Thanks for your advice though.

Quick update guys, system installed by me as per diagram in previous post. Been running perfectly for the last 5 days. Running the dual channel receiver on zone 1, without the water function connected because the combi boiler actually runs the hot water set up. Running single channel receiver on zone 2. All been running without any error messages from Hive and running superbly.
Really impressed with the whole set up, don't know how I survived without it.
Huge thanks to everyone who contributed, especially stem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back