Hive & Baxi DuoTec 33 Combi Wiring Headache (Doesnt turn heating on)

If its a single channel connections 1 and 3 are where you should put your grey and black wires you don't have to worry about which way on your particular hive example

Sponsored Links
That's how they are, but still requires the Baxi Wireless Receiver for the Baxi room stat to be connected and on. Without that the Hive won't work on its own

You slate BG engineers on here so being discreet
you talking to me ? if so , i have very good friends in BG and they have some excellent engineers ( better than i will ever be probably ) but the only thing i hate about BG is how the company is ran ( probably managers ) and some engineers just take the p!ss through laziness or selling shyte .

Buzzer with that out of the way , have i hurt your feelings or something ? :);)

Sponsored Links
No. Nobody ever has. Ive seen posts from RGI's slagging BG eng's off in general.
why would that bother you ? we have BG engineers within the combustion chamber who are very knowledgable and nobody has personal grievance with the BG engineers on this forum , we value their time and help . why are you so worried ? are you the sensitive type ?:LOL: . only having a laugh mate (y)
do you work for BG ?

why would that bother you ? we have BG engineers within the combustion chamber who are very knowledgable and nobody has personal grievance with the BG engineers on this forum , we value their time and help . why are you so worried ? are you the sensitive type ?:LOL: . only having a laugh mate (y)
do you work for BG ?
(y)
Got to work for BG calling themselves a "hive expert".

OK fair enough will keep my opinions and knowledge to myself. I don't come on here much. But if I use it to get info from another trade I feel the need to help out in the gas section of it. Bit of give and take. Weird in here though. Enjoy all.

Just thought I'd update this thread with my final outcome as have just been messaged by another user with the same problem asking if I ever solved it - sorry for not posting it sooner!

I got the Hive working fine, but my baxi combi 33 had the wireless thermostat - I couldn't find a way of disconnecting or bypassing it as everything I did ended up with the Hive not working, so I ended up just setting the Baxi wireless stat to permanently on and the highest temperature the knob lets you select, then the Hive works perfectly and controls the heating fine.

Only downside is when the batteries die the Baxi wireless stat then the Hive stops working and you just get red error lights on the Hive boiler receiver when data's being sent to it. Replace the batteries in the Baxi stat and suddenly the Hive springs back into action! I warn you about that just because it just happened to me and I spent ages trying to work out what was wrong, then it suddenly dawned on me; but it does help reaffirm that the Baxi stat has to be present and turned on for the Hive to work.

Not quite the way I have it working on my home boiler - which was a textbook installation - but it solves a nightmare problem with a really simple workaround :)

Hope that helps people!

Hi sorry to bump this thread but I had exactly this problem, here is how I got around it:

To get this working wire the Relay (receiver) in, black and grey in term 1 and 2 and live and neutral in existing locations of switch, unscrew the back of the internal clock ( the circle box on the right of the boiler) disconnect wires from clock, snip the little spades off the end of all 4 wires (2 black, 1 brown, 1 blue), connect the 2 black wires together, make safe the brown and blue, I use Wago connectors to do this.

All done and no need to have the existing stat set to full or on at all.

Hope that helps a bit worrying that this wasnt answered by the so called experts though!!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back