Hive heating activating but no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope someone can help me out here.

I have just fitted a Hive thermostat to our Ideal Vogue C32 Gen 2 boiler. Initially the thermostat worked fine for around a day, the heating switched on and off as per the schedule as it should.

After a day the heating has stopped coming on. I have checked the hive programmer and it is calling for heat, the switch for heat is receiving 230v at the boiler when called for but the boilers valve continues to stay in the hot water only position.

I wondered if the 3 way valve was stuck, so I put the boiler in to vent mode which alternates the valve position and the valve did move across all 3 positions, but it will not switch to CH when the thermostat calls heat.

I'm now a bit stumped with this, so any ideas would be appreciated before having to call someone in.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
One select the correct installation manual I may have linked to right one? then look at the connections it does seem unless using OpenTherm it is 230 volt.
upload_2021-11-29_10-36-18.png

So all you need to do is put your voltage tester in the terminal
upload_2021-11-29_10-40-31.png
is the power switching on and off.

Thanks for your response.

Yes that's correct I have removed the loop from the room stat / timer plug and wired from connection 1 & 3 on the receiver.

When turning the heating on the receivers green light comes on and I can hear the unit click, checking the volatge I get 230v at the indicated terminal when the heating is switched on.

Just to confirm as well, I am not using OpenTherm.

Where are you testing voltage, boiler or Hive?

Sponsored Links
I'm starting to think that too. I haven't no as the hive was fitted as our old thermostat broke (wireless ideal touch which almost blew itself up) so have no means to test.

I suspected the threeway valve was faulty but the fact it moves to all 3 positions when in vent mode leaves me a bit puzzled.

There are two types of three port valve, the Y plan uses a centre position and the W plan is either or, W plan normally inside the boiler, Y plan outside the boiler.

In both cases default is domestic hot water (DHW) so with Y Plan if the valve is faulty that can stop CH but you still have DHW, but we are a bit in the dark as to what you have.

What’s happening on the display on the front of the boiler?

There are two types of three port valve, the Y plan uses a centre position and the W plan is either or, W plan normally inside the boiler, Y plan outside the boiler.

In both cases default is domestic hot water (DHW) so with Y Plan if the valve is faulty that can stop CH but you still have DHW, but we are a bit in the dark as to what you have.

How can I tell which plan I've got?

What’s happening on the display on the front of the boiler?

No errors, hot water side "preheat on" and CH side says the thermostat is off.

Looking at the sensor readings you can see the CH switched live is on and turns off when we turn the heating off, the boiler just doesn't seem to be doing anything with it.

Attachments

• 16382032027287812310892200572873.jpg
    16382032027287812310892200572873.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 130
Methinks there is confusion here, the diagrams posed of the Ideal Vogue are a combi boiler, and commensurate with that reference is made to a diverter inside the boiler. Now there is mention of systems that have an external hot water cylinder IE 'Y Plan' and even a 'W Plan' which are pretty rare these days....I'm confused....so I wouldn't be surprised if the OP isn't also. :confused:

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back