Honeywell T3 to Hive with Baxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just purchased a Hive Thermostat today. I originally had a Honeywell Home T3. The boiler is a Baxi Assure Combi 25.

The issue I'm facing is the wiring (seems as though this is a common theme. Anyways I've attached a picture of the wires that were in the wall.

There is a brown one, a black one with a brown sleeve, and 2 others which were not used for the Honeywell.

The black and brown cable were connected into the honeywell A and B respectively

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 16926407687368019449418037888353.jpg
    16926407687368019449418037888353.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 16926408406833630035325319138871.jpg
    16926408406833630035325319138871.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
If you’re able to trace that grey wire, then it’s may be of use. Basically what you had was a live in and a switched live out. What you need now is both of those and a permanent live and permanent neutral, often taken from the boiler. Opening up that boiler forms part of the room seal and combustion circuit so needs to be checked for safety afterwards.

So would need to have someone in to do that I assume?

You said the grey cable could be of use could you elaborate please?

So would need to have someone in to do that I assume?
Yes, unless you know how to do it?
You said the grey wire could be of use could you elaborate please?
If it’s all mains switching (looks likely) then, yes, if it’s (grey wire) connected to a neutral (possible as it’s in a connector block),then you have a permanent neutral and the live would also be permanent, and connect up to the switch wire, link L and common and away you go.

Sponsored Links
So what wires would go into what numbers on the hive, sorry if it sounds like I have no idea, it's because I don't

So what wires would go into what numbers on the hive, sorry if it sounds like I have no idea, it's because I don't
Once you confirm if the grey is neutral then:

Brown to L
Grey with blue tape or sleeving to indicate a neutral wire to N
Link a wire from L to Com (1)
Black wire with brown sleeving to heating on (3)
Park the earth in earth terminal or leave in connector block.

Sounds good, will check tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help, it's really appreciated.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The grey wire is not neutral and after switching the boiler on and off, all cables went dead.

Probably going to return the hive, get a nest and get a heating engineer to come and install the correct cables for open therm.

• Thanks
Just before you do, make sure the Baxi is capable of communicating with standard opentherm, I’ve heard not all are compatible?

Probably going to return the hive, get a nest
If your boiler is indeed compatible using OT with Nest get the Nest E and the thermostat just uses the existing 2 wires at the themostat, it is battery powered, but you will still need the Hub connected up

• Thanks
Just before you do, make sure the Baxi is capable of communicating with standard opentherm, I’ve heard not all are compatible?
I've got a Baxi Assure Combi 25, the manual says it has the Opentherm terminals and that's about it.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back