Hot water temp is 40 Degrees - Ideal Mexico 2 Boiler

Thank you - Just to repeat myself - The previous owner must have spent thousands installing this - I ve never seen big bore pipework like this in a house

On the boiler is a British Gas ticket so this must have been installed by BG many years ago when engineers at BG were the rolls royce

And still I always get left with the impression that this system needs complete stripping out - I would do that but my house is all decorated so I cannot do that

Sponsored Links
I would imagine the main part of the system is a lot older than the existing boiler, which is probably 1980s. Maybe from when the house was first built.

I appreciate your frustration about the cylinder you bought. The cylinder seems to be connected directly to the pump by its return pipe. So why isn't that a pumped cylinder?

Last edited:
I tried to understand this as well about pumped system but did not get a crystal clear answer - First I thought it was airlock then I thought it was pipe being restricted

- As well i dont know whether my system is pumped or hybrid so when I speak to engineers I can at least tyr to introduce the system to them as best as possible - I think it is in between : )

@JackK

I was just hoping to clarify for everyone exactly what you have, so you get the best advice. A picture paints a thousand words!
Thanks. I thought you were posting about your own boiler

Looking at the sketch, it strengthens the suggestion I highlighted about natural convection through the radiators and cylinder from the stream flowing in the loop aided by possible inclusion of swept tees
This natural or gravity circulation has been turned on its head by the pipe work around the cylinder as well as a cylinder that is not suitable for gravity circulation.
Turn all the radiators off, even then, movement of water through the cylinder may not increase by much as loop resistance will be a lot less and water will flow through the less resistive circuit hence several people have suggested a pump be employed to restore movement of water through the cylinder coil and that motorised valve is going to serve no purpose at all as stopping the pump will achieve the same result as the valve closing

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks. I thought you were posting about your own boiler

Looking at the sketch, it strengthens the suggestion I highlighted about natural convection through the radiators and cylinder from the stream flowing in the loop aided by possible inclusion of swept tees
This natural or gravity circulation has been turned on its head by the pipe work around the cylinder as well as a cylinder that is not suitable for gravity circulation.
Turn all the radiators off, even then, movement of water through the cylinder may not increase by much
worth a try turning them off - take a chance . Or try turning the pump off and seeing what happens - the thermosyphon( gravity) circulation may do something on it's own .

Last edited:
worth a try turning them off - take a chance . Or try turning the pump off and seeing what happens - the thermosyphon( gravity) circulation may do something on it's own .
Thank you so much but I want to try and make the system like it was before

So far the installer did the following mistakes
1) Restrict the pipework by putting a stupid bend around when there is in fact space for it to drop and enter in the cylinder without any movement of cylinder

2) Use a pumped cylinder instead of gravity

Is my system pumped or not remains an interesting question - I think DP got close by saying "primaries are pumped but the rest is gravity" - Is there any further insights on this

So far the installer did the following mistakes
1) Restrict the pipework by putting a stupid bend around when there is in fact space for it to drop and enter in the cylinder without any movement of cylinder

2) Use a pumped cylinder instead of gravity
When this sad and sorry mess started last April you told us that you were doing the work yourself as no plumber wanted to do it.
You certainly inferred that you fitted the cylinder yourself and later added the auto air vent.
Now it's suddenly down to a 'installer '
You chose to take sod all notice of the advice you were given that you needed a gravity cylinder.
Now it all down to someone else!

I would imagine the main part of the system is a lot older than the existing boiler, which is probably 1980s. Maybe from when the house was first built.

I appreciate your frustration about the cylinder you bought. The cylinder seems to be connected directly to the pump by its return pipe. So why isn't that a pumped cylinder?
Because the loop or the ring is less resistive so hardly any water flows through the new cylinder. Not rocket science.

If you have a combi boiler, further away tap will get very poor hot water flow when hot tap nearer to the boiler is run

When this sad and sorry mess started last April you told us that you were doing the work yourself as no plumber wanted to do it.
You certainly inferred that you fitted the cylinder yourself and later added the auto air vent.
Now it's suddenly down to a 'installer '
You chose to take sod all notice of the advice you were given that you needed a gravity cylinder.
Now it all down to someone else!
I am guilty - It was done by an older man who is old skool and who I trust - He is not a plumber but generally a very handy person who takes his time

I take responsibility for it and want to make it right

I am guilty - It was done by an older man who is old skool and who I trust - He is not a plumber but generally a very handy person who takes his time

I take responsibility for it and want to make it right
Based on all the advice so far it seems to me that you need to buy the correct HW cylinder, they're not that expensive.

Yes and I salute the individuals who gave valuable contributions

Conclusion : Pump in place of 2 port valve should do it

You guys are just the best - Other engineers would have told me nonsence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back