House fully rewired in trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I went to survey a house for general disrepair (I work as a housing officer) and found that the house had been fully rewired using surface mounted trunking.

The trunking has been secured to the wall and floor surfaces using the double sided sticky that has already been fixed to the back. Approximately 20% of the trunking has begun to sag and come away from the wall and ceiling surfaces. This will only get worse.

Can someone enlighten me on that the regulations say regarding the use of trunking and how it should be fitted. More importantly is the sticky back on its own acceptable?

Also must the length of the trunking be continuous between surfaces and fixtures.

TIA

Sponsored Links
If the wiring is twin & earth the trunking is purely cosmetic and the regs will not apply, more of a poor workmanship issue. If the wiring is single core (doubtful) then the regs will apply

Sticky trunking is useless, and either doesn't stick and drops off, or sticks so well it pulls the plaster finish off when one tries to remove it.

The only way to fit trunking properly is to screw it to the surface.

Trunking does not need to be in continous lengths, though some joins can look unsightly, so it's important to install it well.

Sponsored Links
If the wiring is twin & earth the trunking is purely cosmetic and the regs will not apply
Of course they will apply if that is the wiring system used. It would seem that there is a strong possibility of the wiring system collapsing, and workmanship is poor as stated.

There is also almost certainly going to be a problem with wiring in escape routes based on my presumption that non-combustible supports have not been used inside the trunking which would also have helped to secure it to the walls.

Of course they will apply if that is the wiring system used. It would seem that there is a strong possibility of the wiring system collapsing, and workmanship is poor as stated.

There is also almost certainly going to be a problem with wiring in escape routes based on my presumption that non-combustible supports have not been used inside the trunking which would also have helped to secure it to the walls.

Oops my mistake, I was thinking about continuous trunking and singles, but yes if the trunking is sagging the cables will be unsupported and putting stress on connections, a few woodscrews should improve matters

A big question is when the property was rewired.

Amendment 3 added requirements for cables running through escape routes to be supported in a fire-resistant manner. Before that (and even now in places that are not deemed escape routes) I don't belive that there were any general regulations on how cables were to be supported beyond the generic "good workmanship" and "suitable for the environment".

You could try to argue that relying on self-adhesive trunking without carefully checking surface suitability was poor workmanship but I think it would be pretty tenuous.

Amendment 3 added requirements for cables running through escape routes to be supported in a fire-resistant manner. Before that (and even now in places that are not deemed escape routes) I don't belive that there were any general regulations on how cables were to be supported beyond the generic "good workmanship" and "suitable for the environment".

You could try to argue that relying on self-adhesive trunking without carefully checking surface suitability was poor workmanship but I think it would be pretty tenuous.
Failure to prevent premature collapse of the wiring system would breach many Regulations even before the specific one was brought in. And regardless of the Regulations at the time it was installed it is potentially dangerous. This Regulation was brought in because of numerous lives lost due to this very issue. As such it most certainly is not acceptable to leave it like that.

Hang on Jazz, why haven't you gone to the Building Control department. Trunking would normally be acceptable, but if it's been stuck to the wall, and is coming off, then that's plainly dangerous as someone could accidentally pull it down.

As Plugwash said, cabling in escape routes have to be supported in a fire resistant manner, but trunking would melt in a fire, and hang down in someones way as they try and escape. And whilst trunking is acceptable in small areas, It'll be interesting what Environmental health, or the BC control have to say over a whole house being done like that.

If the trunking isn't continuous, is the cable mechanically fixed to the wall in the gaps.

Are there official escape routes in houses?
Yes (I know cos we're extending now)
On the ground floor to a hallway containing a final exit. In an inner room, also need an escape window.
Upstairs first floor rooms onto a hall with stairs to a final exit directly, plus a means of escape window. On a second floor the stairway has to be protected from fire in habitable rooms, but the windows aren't escape windows.
It's way more complex than that, but the answer is yes ;)

Who says?

You mean? - The only way out and some windows.
More rules and regulations for the sake of it?

Do you have to have exit signs? - and
Are there cables routed across the ceilings of these routes (this route)?

And whilst trunking is acceptable in small areas, It'll be interesting what Environmental health, or the BC control have to say over a whole house being done like that.

Local councils are the worst for rewiring completely in minitrunking in their own housing stock. It makes for a quick job and they don't have to make good tenant's decorating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back